The Real Deal New York

How NYC housing market shapes city’s population

Data from 2000 and 2010 reveal neighborhoods that groups have moved into -- and out of

November 05, 2014 03:30PM

map

Citizens Housing & Planning Council’s Making Neighborhoods map

Financial District-based nonprofit Citizens Housing and Planning Council has unveiled a map that breaks down demographic changes in every New York City neighborhood that occurred between 2000 and 2010, thus illuminating various population shifts spurred by housing trends.

The policy group found that the population of Hispanic, low-income families and single people climbed by 13 percent over 10 years. The overall black population in the city dropped by 5 percent, while the black middle class took a bigger hit, with an 18 percent drop.

Single households with a high income increasingly relocated to Downtown Brooklyn, Long Island City and other diverse outer-borough neighborhoods.

The map divided the population into 14 groups based on age, income and race.

To see an interactive version of the map detailing the changes in neighborhoods, click here[CHPC via Curbed] — Mark Maurer

MENU