The Real Deal New York

$6.3B in federal aid coming for Sandy: Schumer

October 28, 2013 11:58AM

  • Print
Senator Charles Schumer

Senator Charles Schumer

About $6.3 billion in Hurricane Sandy-related federal aid will be directed to New York State in 2014, Senator Charles Schumer said Sunday, with $1.4 billion of the money going directly to homeowners hit by the storm.

“The spigot is open and money is beginning to flow,” Schumer said at a press conference in Battery Park. “Homeowners will feel much better.”

The federal government’s $60 billion emergency aid package had “not flowed quickly enough in this last year,” with only $20 billion spent to date, Schumer said, the New York Post reported. “But I’m convinced people will feel the real effects of the rebuilding projects this year.”

The $1.4 billion for homeowners will be given to those who missed the first round of federal aid, and the other $4.9 billion will be used on upkeep and restoration projects in areas such as the Rockaways, Long Island and Ocean Parkway, according to the Post.

Last week, New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said he was closely scrutinizing the way charities who had raised money for storm victims were spending the funds. [NYP]Hiten Samtani

  • Tom

    My wife and I are parents of 5 children whos home was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy in Howard Beach, we have recieved some money from FEMA, but we are still struggling to rebuild our home because the money wasn’t enough. Out of the $1.4 billion, I wonder if some of the money will go to homeowners like us and others that are laying out money out of paychecks and savings? According to what their saying, I hope it is true because we are struggling to continue to rebulid our home along with everyone else that is struggling also. Howard Beach

MENU

Subscribe to our email newsletters

New York Real Estate News
South Florida Real Estate News