The Real Deal New York

Posts Tagged ‘develop don’t destroy brooklyn’

  • Daniel Goldstein

    A leader of the opposition to the Barclays Center may have officially lost his battle when the arena opens later this week, but he appears to be on the winning side of a more local real estate battle.

    Park Slope neighbors have finally relented in their efforts to thwart Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn founder Daniel Goldstein’s plans to build a three-story extension to the back of the home he purchased last year. Goldstein bought the property last year after winning a $3 million settlement when his Atlantic Yards home was seized to make room for the Forest City Ratner development. [more]

    2 Comments
  • Promised to be a driver of the Park Slope, Fort Greene and Clinton Hill economy, the Atlantic Yards construction project has retail landlords salivating but is leaving developers and residents wary, the New York Post reported.

    The Barclays Center, which will open next September, is driving up retail rents in the area. Many landlords have allowed leases to expire and spaces to stay vacant in recent years in anticipation of higher rents sure to come with the new arena. Retail rents in the area range from $85 to $175 per square foot, with the high-end marking the top of Brooklyn pricing. … [more]

    Comments
  • Panels of the steel facade are set to be installed on the Barclays Arena in Atlantic Yards tomorrow, according to the New York Times, but while the arena moves closer to its September 2012 opening, the other 16 buildings at the site are still marred in controversy. In fact, no plans for any of those buildings have been finalized.
    Last week, a State Supreme Court judge ruled that the project was subject to another environmental review, as the construction timeline for the second phase of the project was extended to 25 years. And the first phase is short of financing. … [more]

    Comments
  • A Brooklyn community group has filed a motion to halt work on the multi-billion dollar Atlantic Yards project in Prospect Heights, where construction has begun for an NBA basketball arena for the New Jersey Nets, the Brooklyn Eagle reported. The motion was filed last week in Manhattan Supreme Court, by community groups Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn and BrooklynSpeaks, in response to a judge granting a motion to reargue a previous ruling against petitioners’ claims that the project would take longer than the proposed 10 years. The next court date is set for Dec. 22. … [more]

    1 Comment
  • Daniel Goldstein wasn’t an Atlantic Yards holdout so much as a sellout, officials from Forest City Ratner told the Brooklyn Paper. The Prospect Heights condo owner, who last week got $3 million for agreeing to leave his three-bedroom apartment in the footprint of the planned Barclays Center, had claimed negotiations were bogged down by the developer’s demand for a “gag order.” MaryAnne Gilmartin, president of Forest City Ratner, claims that was not the case — rather, she said, “the sticking point was how much money he wanted.” … [more]

    Comments

  • From left: Bruce Ratner of Forest City Ratner Companies and Atlantic Yards project opponent and homeowner Daniel Goldstein

    Atlantic Yards holdout Daniel Goldstein, who as of yesterday morning was the last man standing in the way of developer Bruce Ratner’s massive Downtown Brooklyn project, has agreed to leave his three-bedroom Pacific Street condo by May 7 in exchange for a whopping $3 million. Goldstein, who must step down as the official spokesperson for Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn as part of the deal, bought the Prospect Heights apartment in 2003 for $590,000. The state had first offered him just $510,000 to vacate the premises. Ratner said Goldstein, facing eviction after losing a court battle over eminent domain, asked him for $5 million, though Goldstein denied it. Other condo owners in the building sold their homes to Ratner several years ago for around $1 million. Goldstein now plans to look for a new home in Park Slope, Fort Greene or Prospect Heights and to take a vacation, he told the Daily News. [NYDN]

    Comments
  • As construction begins, a walk around AY

    December 28, 2009 01:31PM


    With the Atlantic Yards deal officially closed and with construction begun on Bruce Ratner‘s new Barclays Center, the Atlantic Yards Report blog took to the streets last weekend to find out what the project’s impact will be on the surrounding area. Cars were locked in traffic, after those heading south were diverted from Fifth to Sixth avenues, as per the new traffic plan. The surrounding blocks offer both intact residential housing and several empty lots, which could be used as evidence by supporters or opponents of the project. On Bergen and Dean streets, near the site of two buildings already demolished by Forest City Ratner, two rowhouses are for sale. Signs for the new Barclays Center are already up on the western part of the site’s footprint.

    Comments

  • From left: Bruce Ratner of Forest City Ratner Companies and opponent Daniel Goldstein, a spokesperson for Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn

    Developer Bruce Ratner announced this morning that he has officially closed on the Atlantic Yards project. The closing indicates the issuance of bonds and execution of real estate documents, including leases, financing and purchase agreements, has been completed, according to a press release sent today (see the release after the jump). The company also indicated that the construction on the Barclays Center and parts of the Atlantic Yards project site has begun. “Today, what has long been a vision for the future of Brooklyn becomes a reality,” Ratner said in a written statement. “Six years after we announced our plan for Atlantic Yards we are very pleased to be closing on the project with our public partners,” including the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Empire State Development Corporation. Neighborhood advocacy group Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, which emerged early on as a key opponent to the project, did not share the Forest City Ratner Companies CEO’s enthusiasm. In a press release sent today, the organization said it plans to fight the removal of residents from their homes through eminent domain and added that there are still legal challenges to the Atlantic Yards development that could still effectively halt the project’s construction. “Ratner’s project will never produce the benefits the developer and the ESDC have lied about for years, and should it go forward the governor and other project supporters will rue this day,” Daniel Goldstein, Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn’s spokesperson, said in the release. Mayor Michael Bloomberg released a statement later in the day saying he was delighted with the latest development in the Atlantic Yards project. The construction of the facility will create lasting employment opportunities, Bloomberg said in a written statement, something that the neighborhood is in need of during the rough economic climate. “While the rest of the country wrings its hands about the national recession, we’re building our way out of it,” Bloomberg said. “The $4.9 billion Atlantic Yards project — the most extensive development ever undertaken in Brooklyn — is moving forward, bringing thousands of units of housing and thousands of jobs for New York City’s middle class.” TRD

    [more]

    Comments
  • Court rejects Atlantic Yards MTA sale suit

    December 21, 2009 11:56AM

    The State Supreme Court has rejected a lawsuit that alleges the Metropolitan Transportation Authority acted inappropriately in its sale of the Vanderbilt rail yard to Bruce Ratner, developer of the controversial Atlantic Yards site. A collection of community advocacy groups, including Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, alleged in the suit that the MTA inappropriately reopened a deal this year with Ratner that was made in 2005 rather than reappraise the arrangement. Daniel Goldstein, a spokesperson for Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, said that this constituted favoritism on the part of the MTA, referring to the developer and the MTA’s arrangement as a “sweetheart deal.” The court saw things differently, ruling in favor of the MTA. “If every change were to be viewed as a new plan so as to trigger anew each mandated review process, no development plan could ever reach final approval,” the ruling says. “The MTA had a rational basis for continuing to use the 2005 appraisal rather than ordering a new one in 2009.”

    Comments
  • A new deal that state development officials are drafting could help Atlantic Yards developer Bruce Ratner avoid meeting an obligation to include affordable housing in the Dumbo development. The Empire State Development Corporation inserted a clause into its lease proposal with Ratner that would allow the developer to bail on the construction of 2,250 affordable units, by claiming that such construction would be “subject to governmental authorities making available…affordable housing subsidies,” the Brooklyn Paper reported. Candace Carponter, a lawyer who works with local advocacy group Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, says that the clause flies in the face of what the community wanted out of the Atlantic Yards development. “ESDC has quietly made the ‘affordable’ housing conditioned upon public subsidies, in contradiction with [the project’s] approval document,” Carponter said. … [more]

    Comments
  • Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, along with 19 other community advocacy groups, filed a lawsuit today against the Empire State Development Corporation and Forest City Companies, in an attempt to block the approval of the massive Atlantic Yards project in Prospect Heights. The groups claim that the ESDC and the development group plan to circumvent the project’s governing document, while refusing to submit a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement. According to a release from Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, if the groups’ suit is successful, it would “doom” the development. The project opponents’ lawyer, Jeffrey Baker of Young, Sommer, Ward, Ritzenberg, Baker & Moore, said that the ESDC mishandled the Atlantic Yards development, breaking laws in order to strong arm state and local officials into granting approval.TRD[more]

    Comments
  • Atlantic Yards wins key vote from ESDC

    September 17, 2009 03:37PM

    The Atlantic Yards plan may have finally caught a break — the Empire State Development Corporation voted today to approve the fraught project’s revised plan. Project developer Bruce Ratner, of Forest City Ratner Companies, said that this announcement was a key victory for the plan, which has faced immense community opposition. “Today’s vote means that the Atlantic Yards project can move forward,” Ratner said. “We now need to work aggressively to break ground by the end of the year.” This vote is expected to incite a new crop of lawsuits from opposition groups, such as Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, which contend that Forest City Ratner Companies did not file the necessary Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement.[Crain's] and [Curbed]

    Comments
  • Political support wanes for AY

    May 26, 2009 05:14PM

    Despite recent legal decisions supporting Forest City Ratner, developer of the Atlantic Yards project, political support for the Brooklyn Development has gradually declined since it was proposed in 2003. Today none of the dozen City Council candidates in the two districts closest to the project site support it, according to opposition group Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn. Borough President Marty Markowitz is the only local official still strongly in support of the project. The lack of political backing could hurt Forest City Ratner if it tries to get approvals for a new arena-only plan for the project. … [more]

    Comments
  • The New Jersey Nets plan to
    break ground for an arena at the Atlantic Yards site this year, and say
    the team will be able to play there starting in the 2011-2012 basketball
    season, according to Bruce Ratner, Nets owner and chairman and CEO of Forest City
    Ratner. Ratner said the state appeals court ruling cleared the way for
    construction of the complex that includes the $800 million arena.
    Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, the opposing group, plans to appeal the
    decision.

    Comments
MENU