The Real Deal Miami

Miami Entertainment Complex delayed

The complex won’t break ground until mid-October

September 03, 2014 04:30PM

  • Print
Miami Entertainment Complex

Miami Entertainment Complex

The groundbreaking of the Miami Entertainment Complex has been delayed until mid-October. It had been set to break ground this mid-August.

“The MEC is such an important project for the Omni district, the City of Miami and the region, that we have painstakingly planned the construction to ensure its completion by the end of the summer in 2015,” Pieter Bockweg, executive director of the Omni Community Redevelopment Agency, which owns the building at 50 NW 14th Street, told Miami Today. “We are excited to be narrowing down a date in October for the groundbreaking event and look forward to announcing that date in the coming weeks.”

When completed, the site will feature two film sound stages of 15,000 square feet each and about 12,000 square feet of office, post-production and storage space.

“The City of Miami has traditionally looked at short-term gains,” Bockweg said. “This is a long-term lease of 19 years, and a long-term partnership with this community.” [Miami Today] Christopher Cameron

MENU