Pier 17 construction slated to start July 1

TRD New York /
Dec.December 26, 2012 01:30 PM

The Dallas-based Howard Hughes Corporation is forging ahead with its plans to redevelop Pier 17 in Lower Manhattan. Following an engineering inspection of the site’s stability following Hurricane Sandy, which deemed the site to be sound, David Wenreb, Howard Hughes’ CEO, told the New York Times that it will begin construction by July 1.

The plan is still undergoing the city’s land use process and the July 1 construction deadline comes as part of an agreement between the developer and the city’s Economic Development Corporation.

The new pier building will have two levels of retail space, each of which with some 60,000 square feet.

“I think Lower Manhattan will only benefit from a density of retail experiences,” Elizabeth Berger, president of the Alliance for Downtown New York, told the Times.

However, as previously reported, the site could be closed for two years when construction starts. [NYT]Zachary Kussin


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Howard Hughes CEO David R. Weinreb and South Street Seaport (Credit: NYCgo)

Amid talks of company sale, Howard Hughes lands $250M loan for Seaport project

Developer Howard Hughes mulls sale amid continued financial uncertainty

250 Water Street and Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David Weinreb (Credit: Google Maps)

Howard Hughes faces more backlash at Seaport. This time, it’s over toxic contamination concerns

Hawaii’s answer to Hudson Yards: This 60-acre megaproject in Honolulu

Winter is coming: Rockwell Group to build pop-up “village” at Pier 17

Milstein lends $130M on Seaport site it long owned

Howard Hughes buys Milstein’s Seaport site for $180M

Howard Hughes eyes 600K sf of air rights at South Street Seaport

arrow_forward_ios