WTC contractor found guilty for masterminding $1B scheme

Larry Davis pretended to work with minority-owned businesses to land Port Authority work

New York /
Aug.August 11, 2016 08:45 AM

A World Trade Center contractor who pretended to work alongside women- and minority-owned businesses was found guilty for fraudulently landing $1 billion worth of work from the Port Authority.

Capping a seven-day trial, a Manhattan federal jury found Larry Davis, owner of steel company DCM Erectors, guilty of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud, the New York Post reported. He faces up to 40 years in prison.

Prosecutors charged Davis with criminal fraud in 2014 for falsely claiming he was complying with requirements to hire minority and female subcontractors in order to land lucrative job contractors from the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey TRData LogoTINY. DCM Erectors ultimately snagged two contracts worth $600 million for 1 World Trade Center and the transit hub; the contracts grew to almost $1 billion, according to prosecutors.

During the seven-day trial, prosecutors said Davis falsified business records and work orders to give off the appearance of complying with hiring rules. In particular, subcontractors Johnny Garcia and Gale D’Aloia set up set up an entity known as GLS Enterprises to help Davis land the contracts.

Last week, Garcia — an Ecuadorian subcontractor — testified that he served as a front for Davis to land the WTC work. The president of Solera Construction, who pocketed $2 million for his role in the scheme, said he “basically was playing the minority card.” When asked what he did in exchange for the money, Garcia said, “basically nothing.” [NYP]E.B. Solomont


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Silverstein Properties’ Larry Silverstein and Brookfield’s Brian Kingston (Getty/Illustration by Kevin Rebong for The Real Deal)
Port Authority taps Silverstein, Brookfield to build 5WTC
Port Authority taps Silverstein, Brookfield to build 5WTC
Douglas Durst of the Durst Organization, Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton, and Conde Nast CEO Roger Lynch. (Getty)
Condé Nast isn’t paying rent at 1WTC amid lease dispute
Condé Nast isn’t paying rent at 1WTC amid lease dispute
The bus terminal was built in the 1950s and designed to serve one fourth of the riders it sees today. (Getty)
Port Authority to raze, replace “hell on earth” bus terminal
Port Authority to raze, replace “hell on earth” bus terminal
TRD's Erik Enguist and Port Authority's Rick Cotton
Port Authority, out $3B, has waterfront land to sell
Port Authority, out $3B, has waterfront land to sell
TRD's Erik Enguist and Port Authority's Rick Cotton
Can the Port Authority bring NYC back? Tune in to TRD Talks Wednesday
Can the Port Authority bring NYC back? Tune in to TRD Talks Wednesday
Port Authority Bus Terminal and AECOM CEO Troy Rudd (Roger Rowlett via Wikipedia; AECOM)
“Worst place on earth” may be buried underground
“Worst place on earth” may be buried underground
Anna Wintour of Condé Nast, One World Trade Center and Douglas Durst (Wintour by Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images; 1WTC via iStock; Durst by Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)
Condé Nast wants out at 1WTC. Durst may not be OK with that
Condé Nast wants out at 1WTC. Durst may not be OK with that
Durst Organization chairman Douglas Durst and Advance Publications president Donald Newhouse with One World Trade Center (Newhouse by Ilya S. Savenok/Getty Images for The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration; Unsplash)
Condé Nast may be moving out of 1 WTC
Condé Nast may be moving out of 1 WTC
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...