HSBC, Edge Fund shop stake in Times Square office condo

Owners are looking to sell 48% share at 1540 Broadway

New York /
Oct.October 04, 2017 09:50 AM

HSBC and Edge Fund Advisors are about to test whether the Manhattan trophy property sales market has fully recovered from its early 2017 slump. The partners put a 48 percent stake in the office portion of 1540 Broadway on the market, hoping to fetch around $445 million.

The 909,000-square-foot commercial condo is 92 percent occupied, Real Estate Alert reported. Newmark Knight Frank has the listing. Any buyer would also assume a share of the $450 million mortgage, reducing the cash they’d need to shell out to acquire the stake.

The 44-story tower was built in 1990 as the headquarters of German publisher Bertelsmann. In 2006, Vornado Realty Trust bought the retail space for $260 million. A year later, Harry Macklowe paid the Blackstone Group $830 million for the office portion of the property. Macklowe lost the property to his lender, Deutsche Bank, which sold it to CBRE Global Investors.

HSBC bought a 49 percent stake in 2010 and picked up the remaining 51 percent in 2011, in deals valuing the office space at $520 million and $660 million, respectively. Tenants include Viacom, Pillsbury Winthrop, Duane Morris, Adobe Systems and Verizon. [REA] — Konrad Putzier


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
With a cooling trade war, stocks perform well, including real estate. (Credit: iStock)
Real estate stocks push up this week as U.S.-China trade tensions ease
Real estate stocks push up this week as U.S.-China trade tensions ease
416 West 25th Street and Maverick Real Estate Partners principal David Aviram (Credit: Google Maps and LinkedIn)
Chelsea landlord claims “predatory” lender is charging a crippling interest rate as punishment after losing foreclosure case
Chelsea landlord claims “predatory” lender is charging a crippling interest rate as punishment after losing foreclosure case
From left: 11 Madison Avenue, Beam Suntory CEO Albert Baladi and SL Green CEO Marc Holliday (Photos via Beam Suntory; SL Green)
Beam Suntory will move HQ to 11 Madison Ave from Chicago
Beam Suntory will move HQ to 11 Madison Ave from Chicago
Yelp's 11 Madison and PWC's 300 Madison. (SL Green, Brookfield)
Yelp, PwC test options on Manhattan’s sublease market
Yelp, PwC test options on Manhattan’s sublease market
Four Points by Sheraton Midtown at 326 W 40th Street (Google Maps; iStock)
Recipe for success? Ghost kitchens cut deals with empty hotels
Recipe for success? Ghost kitchens cut deals with empty hotels
Photos courtesy of HAP Investments
HAP Investments unveils new plans for Jersey City high-rise
HAP Investments unveils new plans for Jersey City high-rise
Photo Illustration of BioMed Realty CEO Tim Schoen and Alexandria Real Estate Equities CEO Joel S Marcus. (Getty, BioMed)
Life sciences boom continues with 36M sf in works
Life sciences boom continues with 36M sf in works
From left: Flex’s Shragie Lichtenstein; Piñata’s Lily Liu; NestEgg’s Eachan Fletcher; and Till’s David Sullivan
These startups want to guarantee your rent
These startups want to guarantee your rent
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...