Why 75 tenants were removed from
Joseph Betesh’s Chinatown building

Residents of 85 Bowery were evacuated following court-ordered inspection

TRD NEW YORK /
Jan.January 19, 2018 10:05 AM

85 Bowery

UPDATED, 10:37 a.m., Jan 22: The city has deemed a building in Chinatown uninhabitable following a court-ordered inspection, leaving at least 75 tenants without a home.

The FDNY on Thursday evacuated the building at 85 Bowery, where tenants have been fighting with their landlord Joseph Betesh for years, according to the New York Daily News. They have accused him of neglecting the building to force them out during repairs and increase the rents, while Betesh has said he wants the building cleared out so he can dramatically improve its infrastructure.

Public Advocate Letitia James had supported a settlement that would prevent the tenants from getting evicted and get them long-term rent stabilized leases, but the deal fell apart, and she stopped representing them in summer 2016.

Engineers from the city’s Department of Buildings found that the building’s main stairway was unstable, and they are giving Betesh two weeks to replace it.

“The staircase has always been slanted, but there’s never been any kind of accident,” tenant Raymond Wong told the News. “There are a lot of old people and children in there. I don’t know what they’re going to do.”

A spokesperson for Betesh accused tenants of doing “illegal renovation work” that damaged the building, such as converting apartments into single-room-occupancy units.

“This unauthorized renovation work was done without our consent and put all the building’s occupants at greater risk by leading to dangerous overcrowding, blocked fire escapes and other safety hazards,” he said. “We were unable to prevent this activity because occupants and their representatives repeatedly denied us access to their units.” [NYDN]Eddie Small

This post has been updated to include a response from the landlord.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
US Steel’s sprawling South Works site is about the size of Downtown Chicago. At left, Common, who wants to partner with developers on a mixed-use entertainment district there, and Dan McCaffery, whose vision for a 13,000-home community fizzled out. (Credit: Common by Paras Griffin/Getty Images; McCaffery via McCaffery Interests; aerial by Cushman & Wakefield)

South Works, the 415-acre “magnificent property,” is Chicago’s biggest development opportunity

Manhattan resi listings continue nosedive: report

Manhattan resi listings continue nosedive: report

252 East 57th Street and 196 Orchard Street with Samantha Sheeber and Tal Alexander

Closing in the time of Covid-19: “We’re pulling out all the stops”

Kuwait’s consul general in New York, Hamad Al-Hazeem and 50 United Nations Plaza (Credit: Google Maps)

Kuwait’s consul general buys 50 UN Plaza pad for $16M

Web searches for terms including “homes for sale” are way down up north. (Credit: Pixabay)

Fewer Canadians are searching for homes online amid pandemic

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images; Sue via Flickr)

Vacation home travel ban not on Cuomo’s agenda

Massive stimulus package has limited upside for real estate

Massive stimulus package has limited upside for real estate

About 450 sellers pulled their listings last week (Credit: iStock)

As New York shut down, so did its resi market

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...