Tenants at Joseph Betesh’s 85 Bowery can move back in soon, spokesperson says

DOB has lifted the vacate order on floors two through five of the troubled property

TRD NEW YORK /
Aug.August 30, 2018 12:15 PM

85 Bowery (Credit: Google Maps)

Tenants at 85 Bowery should be able to move back into their building within the next few days.

The Department of Buildings rescinded the vacate order for the second through fifth floors at the long-troubled building on Wednesday, according to the agency’s website. Although it remains in effect for the building’s cellar and first floor, the partial lift should still allow management to begin moving tenants back into their homes shortly, according to Sam Spokony, spokesperson for the building’s owner Joseph Betesh.

Tenants have fought with Betesh for years over the condition of the building, accusing him of neglecting it in an attempt to force them out and increase the rents. Betesh has said he wanted to clear out the building to improve its infrastructure.

These issues came to a head in January, when at least 75 residents of the Chinatown building were forced out after the DOB found that the main staircase was unstable and deemed the property uninhabitable.  Their initial return date was delayed after findings of asbestos and additional structural issues at the property, but tenants and Betesh reached an agreement earlier this summer that required all repairs to be finished by the end of August.

That agreement also required Betesh to pay $25,000 per apartment and a $200,000 lump sum to cover personal property claims. The city was required to approve all work before residents would be cleared to return.

Betesh has completed making the necessary repairs by the August 31 deadline and expects tenants to be able to move back to the building in the coming days, Spokony said.

“Our team has replaced the staircase that initially caused the vacate order, replaced dozens of rotted floor joists on each floor of the building and rectified all issues regarding the unlawful partitions installed under previous ownership,” he said in a statement.

The DOB released a statement saying that a “huge amount of work was done” to make the building safe, including “asbestos abatement, new fire-safety protections, new kitchens and bathrooms in all units, and more.”


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Web searches for terms including “homes for sale” are way down up north. (Credit: Pixabay)

Fewer Canadians are searching for homes online amid pandemic

Massive stimulus package has limited upside for real estate

Massive stimulus package has limited upside for real estate

About 450 sellers pulled their listings last week (Credit: iStock)

As New York shut down, so did its resi market

Is REBNY and StreetEasy’s decision a much-needed reprieve or data manipulation? (Credit: Pixabay)

Decision by StreetEasy, REBNY to stop market clock triggers debate

The Atelier at 635 W. 42nd Street and 70 Charles Street (Credit: Google Maps)

One of NYC’s priciest listings to appear on the market last week is already in contract

Jacqueline Friedman Brogadir and 993 Fifth Avenue, 10th Floor (Credit: Brown Harris Stevens, Patrick McMullan/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

Daughter of Goldman exec nabs Fifth Avenue co-op for $25M

Clockwise from top left: Halstead’s Diane Ramirez, Douglas Elliman’s Howard Lorber, Corcoran Group’s Pam Liebman and Brown Harris Stevens’ Bess Freedman (Credit: Getty Images; iStock)

Tension lingers over showings as brokerage chiefs navigate pandemic

(Credit: iStock)

REBNY orders days on market calculation to stop for resi listings

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...