Savanna picks up 521 Fifth Ave for $381M

SL Green said in January that it was putting the building on the market

TRD New York /
Mar.March 28, 2019 11:02 AM

From left: SL Green CEO Marc Holliday, 521 Fifth Avenue, and Savanna managing partner Chris Schlank (Credit: Google Maps)

Savanna is buying the former Lefcourt Colonial Building at 521 Fifth Avenue.

SL Green is selling the property to Savanna for $381 million, it announced on Thursday. The building stands 39 stories tall and spans 460,000 square feet, and the deal should close in the second quarter of 2019.

SL Green owns 50.5 percent of the building, and a joint venture between LaSalle Investment Management and Quantum Global Real Estate known as Plaza Global Real Estate Partners owns the other 49.5 percent.

SL Green bought the property in 2011 for $225 million and sold the minority stake to LaSalle and Quantum for $72 million.

CBRE’s Darcy Stacom and Bill Shanahan represented the sellers in the deal.

Savanna declined to comment on the deal. SL Green’s co-chief investment officer Isaac Zion said in a statement that the sale “demonstrates the strong demand for quality assets in East Midtown.”

SL Green executives announced plans to put the building on the market during their January earnings call to help the real estate investment trust finance its stock buyback program. LaSalle and Quantum put their stake on the market in 2018, when sources familiar with the property valued it at $450 million.

The building’s tenants include Berkadia Commercial Mortgage, KGS Capital Markets, Chinatrust Commercial Bank, Urban Outfitters and Equinox.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
The Daily News Building at 220 East 42nd Street and SL Green CEO Marc Holliday (Credit: Getty Images)

SL Green puts Daily News building up for sale

SL Green puts Daily News building up for sale
SL Green snags private-equity firm at One Vanderbilt

SL Green snags private-equity firm at
One Vanderbilt

SL Green snags private-equity firm at
One Vanderbilt
SL Green’s locks in big bank lease at Hudson Yards redevelopment site

SL Green’s locks in big bank lease at
Hudson Yards redevelopment site

SL Green’s locks in big bank lease at
Hudson Yards redevelopment site
A mass timber project in Cleveland is now under construction and could be the nation’s tallest when completed. Harbor Bay Real Estate Advisors’ Intro development will rise nine stories with 298 residential units (Credit: Harbor Bay Real Estate Advisors)

Mass timber project in Cleveland could be nation’s tallest

Mass timber project in Cleveland could be nation’s tallest
Joy Construction’s Eli Weiss (left), Maddd Equities’ Jorge Madruga (top), and Drew Katz (right) with 20 Bruckner Boulevard in the Bronx (Getty; Google Maps)

“Dream” comes true for long-vacant Bronx ice house

“Dream” comes true for long-vacant Bronx ice house
“We’re not in the business of land-grabbing:” Hana CEO on the future of flex space

“We’re not in the business of land-grabbing:” Hana CEO on the future of flex space

“We’re not in the business of land-grabbing:” Hana CEO on the future of flex space
Photo illustration of Sen. Brian Kavanagh (Credit: Kavanagh by Albin Lohr-Jones/Pacific Press/LightRocket, Getty Images, iStock)

Lawmakers skip #CancelRent in favor of more modest bills

Lawmakers skip #CancelRent in favor of more modest bills
The process for challenging property assessments is so antiquated, officials won’t do Zoom meetings. (iStock)

“A recipe for disaster”: Fighting property taxes in a pandemic

“A recipe for disaster”: Fighting property taxes in a pandemic
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...