WeWork sues SoftBank for scrapping $3B bailout

Embattled co-working giant says its biggest backer broke a contract

TRD NATIONAL /
Apr.April 07, 2020 01:20 PM
WeWork CEO Sandeep Mathrani and Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son (Mathrani by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images; Son by Tomohiro Ohsumi/Getty Images)

WeWork CEO Sandeep Mathrani and Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son (Mathrani by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images; Son by Tomohiro Ohsumi/Getty Images)

It’s official — WeWork is suing its biggest backer. And this probably won’t be the last time.

The embattled co-working giant is alleging that SoftBank wrongfully pulled out of an agreement to buy $3 billion worth of WeWork shares. That infusion would have helped stabilize WeWork as it worked to rebound from its failed IPO, as it faces a wave of vacancies brought on by the global coronavirus pandemic, the company said Tuesday, in a news release detailing the lawsuit.

The deal was part of a larger bailout package struck last fall after WeWork’s botched IPO. Last month, Softbank said it was pulling out of the $3 billion bailout because of “multiple, new and significant pending criminal and civil investigations” that changed the conditions ahead of the deal’s scheduled April 1 closing date.

The co-working company alleges SoftBank’s action breaks the agreement the two sides made last fall, and calls it “a breach of SoftBank’s fiduciary obligations to WeWork’s minority stockholders, including hundreds of current and former employees.”

WeWork is asking a judge to order the Japanese conglomerate to follow through with the purchase of those shares or pay damages for breaking the contract. The company also alleges that SoftBank has “received most of the benefits” in the fall agreement, including effective control of WeWork.

WeWork has been gearing up for a few weeks, ever since Softbank began hinting it would pull out of the bailout.

Meanwhile, the coronavirus pandemic is emptying offices and shared desk spaces at WeWork locations around the globe, despite the company’s best efforts to stay open during the pandemic, according to the Financial Times, which first reported on the lawsuit.

The company’s occupancy rate fell to around 64 percent at the beginning of this month, down from around 79 percent at the end of September, shortly after WeWork postponed its IPO.

WeWork is reportedly being overwhelmed with calls and emails from tenants refusing to pay rent or who want to break their leases, the Financial Times reported. The company is offering rent holidays and renegotiating monthly leases to retain some of its tenants.
The company has also been asking its own landlords to cut its rents.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Simon Property CEO David Simon and Gurnee Mills, and KKR co-CEO George Roberts and Yorktown Center (Getty, Wikipedia, KKR, Yorktown Center)

Simon Property, KKR skip mortgage payments on Chicago malls

Simon Property, KKR skip mortgage payments on Chicago malls
Mayor Lori Lightfoot has detailed plans to reopen offices and real estate services but the specific date remains in question. (Getty, iStock)

Ready, set…Chicago details office, retail, real estate services reopenings. But when?

Ready, set…Chicago details office, retail, real estate services reopenings. But when?
LaSalle Towers in Old Town (Credit: Google Maps)

Could coronavirus lead to Chicago condo deconversion resurgence?

Could coronavirus lead to Chicago condo deconversion resurgence?
Downtown Chicago hotel occupancy rates ticked up in the latest STR report, but they’re still below 27 percent. (Getty)

Occupancy rates at Chicago hotels are improving…slowly

Occupancy rates at Chicago hotels are improving…slowly
Rep. Delia Ramirez and Gov. J.B. Pritzker (Credit: Joshua Lott/Getty Images)

Illinois legislators to vote on massive rent, mortgage relief package this week

Illinois legislators to vote on massive rent, mortgage relief package this week
Twice-convicted felon John Thomas and the former Sherman Hospital in Elgin (Credit: Google Maps)

Ex-con developer who bought Elgin hospital in line for big payday

Ex-con developer who bought Elgin hospital in line for big payday
Estein USA COO Lance Fair and JW Marriott Chicago (Credit: Estein; Google Maps)

JW Marriott is latest hotel at risk of default

JW Marriott is latest hotel at risk of default
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said homeowners will be given a two-month reprieve on late-payment interest penalties. (Preckwinkle by KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI/AFP via Getty Images; iStock)

Cook County throws lifeline to homeowners struggling with mortgages

Cook County throws lifeline to homeowners struggling with mortgages
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...