Miami Beach considers more rules for single-family home construction

Critics call proposed guidelines on scale a threat to property rights

TRD MIAMI /
Jun.June 26, 2013 11:00 AM

For a third time in a decade, Miami Beach is considering beefing up guidelines for single-family home construction, riling some developers, architects and brokers in an attempt to balance property rights with climate priorities and preservation claims.

An ordinance proposed by the city’s land use and development committee would require that when a new construction replaces an “architecturally significant” home, it mimic the scale, massing and building orientation of its predecessor, according to a March committee memo to the city, so that it is consistent with the style and character of the neighborhood.

Critics refer to this as “downzoning.”

“This downzoning will basically reduce the value of the single-family homes that are not newly constructed or have built to their maximum allowable FAR under current and already strict building codes. They are basically stealing property rights,” Dora Puig, a luxury broker in Miami Beach, wrote in an email circulated among South Florida’s real estate industry ahead of a planning board meeting Tuesday.

The ordinance responds to concerns about an uptick in applications to demolish single-family homes. Some 20 requests were made to the city last year to tear down existing properties and replace them with new construction, according to the memo.

“Oversize speculative homes are ruining our visual image,” Miami Design Preservation League member Clotilde Luce said during the meeting. Luce cited the ultra-contemporary home of Alex Rodriguez on North Bay Road, which the Yankees slugger sold for $30 million in May, as well as 42 Star Island, a 1925 mansion visible from the Macarthur Causeway whose owners, a “Real Housewives of Miami” cast member and her plastic surgeon husband, want to demolish and replace with new construction.

“42 Star Island anchors our visual identity, whether it’s your house or not,” Luce said.

After opponents including Puig and Coldwell Banker’s top agent team, Jill Eber and Jill Hertzberg, filled the commissioners’ chambers at City Hall Tuesday, the city’s planning board voted to open up the debate by holding public workshops.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Daily Digest Miami

Ben Carson talks Opportunity Zones, top developers riff on condos vs. rentals: Daily digest

Rendering of Ten30 and Masoud Shojaee

Shoma Group launches lower-priced condo project near Lincoln Road

Condo at Glass Miami Beach sells at 15% loss

The Julia hotel, Jesper Arnoldsso

SMS Lodging lists Miami Beach hotel after selling another for $21M

Ritz-Carlton Residences Miami Beach

Dialysis exec nabs condo at Ritz-Carlton Residences Miami Beach

1835 West 27th Street and Oren Alexander

Venezuelan oil tycoon lists waterfront Miami Beach mansion for $17M

Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber and Natalie Nichols home at 1531 Stillwater Drive (Credit: Getty Images)

Miami-Dade judge strikes down Miami Beach short-term rental ban

Daily Digest Miami

Soffer in talks to buy Diplomat resort in Hollywood, 1-800 PetMeds founder sells Miami Beach house: Daily digest

arrow_forward_ios