A Midtown Miami condo association president is in a messy dispute with other residents, some of whom are pushing to remove him from the board.
Two Midtown resident Rafael Borges is leading a campaign to oust New York native Seth Cohen as association president following Cohen’s proposal to spend $2.4 million on lobby renovations. Last month, Cohen sent a notice to about 120 Two Midtown unit owners indicating the improvements would cost them more than $6,800 apiece. Pricey upgrades to the building’s elevators and pool furniture had just been completed.
The special assessment inspired Borges and several other owners to hold a protest in front of the building, according to the Miami New Times. During the protest, Cohen allegedly slapped a phone out of the hand of one of the Two Midtown residents, who was recording him. The resident filed a complaint with the Miami Police Department, accusing Cohen of vandalism.
Two Midtown’s board rejected Cohen’s renovation proposal and special assessment on Thursday. Cohen told the New Times he is pursuing claims against some of the residents.
“We have a legal issue ongoing with these few owners,” Cohen said. “As a result of their violation of condo rules and regulations, as well as some illegal activities, we’ve had to take some legal actions.” [Miami New Times] — Eric Kalis