Saks emerges as opponent to Bal Harbour Shops expansion

Miami /
Apr.April 06, 2017 11:15 AM

A new opponent to the proposed Bal Harbour Shops expansion emerged at a public meeting this week: Saks Fifth Avenue.

An attorney for Saks spoke out against the $400 million expansion of the Shops, which in its latest version leaves the anchor tenant untouched, according to the Miami Herald. Whitman said that Saks owns the building it occupies via a ground lease, and that the store decided to stay put when the expansion was reduced. Saks said the plan is “detrimental” to the shopping experience of its customers.

Bal Harbour Shops’ owner Whitman Family Development responded, saying in a statement:

“Saks then requests tens of millions of dollars from us to improve its own building and threatens to be ‘a thorn in our side’ during the public hearings if we refuse … And here they are tonight.”

About 200 people attended the meeting on Tuesday, which was held at the nearby Sea View Hotel. Whitman’s expansion plans have been in the works for years, and have hit several roadblocks from opposing Bal Harbour residents, as well as the Village Council.

Earlier this year, Whitman withdrew its offer to buy the village municipal building and submitted the latest plan, which calls for an additional 352,000 square feet of mostly retail space. The mall owners would move current parking to add to the new structure. Meanwhile, a new parking lot would be built at 9700 Collins Avenue, the former site of the Church by the Sea. The overall plan comes to an increase of about 17 percent.

In March, a group of opposing residents and its lawyer accused village officials of stonewalling their latest effort to block the luxury shopping center’s plan.  [Miami Herald] – Katherine Kallergis


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Matthew Whitman Lazenby and Bal Harbour Shops
Special election could pave way for height increase at Bal Harbour Shops
Special election could pave way for height increase at Bal Harbour Shops
Dan Deitchman and Koby Assaraf with a rendering of Industry | Oakland Park
Oakland Park developer partners with former Link Real Estate exec on new firm
Oakland Park developer partners with former Link Real Estate exec on new firm
Matthew Whitman Lazenby, Grant Cardone, Phil Collins, Orianne Bates, Russell Galbut, Natalie Brabner, Craig Studnicky and Masoud Shojaee (Lazenby by Sonya Revell; Getty, iStock)
South Florida’s juiciest real estate lawsuits of 2020
South Florida’s juiciest real estate lawsuits of 2020
Renderings of the project (Group P6)
Group P6 lands $69M construction loan for Boca Raton project
Group P6 lands $69M construction loan for Boca Raton project
Simon and David Reuben with St. Regis Bal Harbour (Getty, Google Maps)
Reuben Brothers takes over $132M loan backing St. Regis Bal Harbour
Reuben Brothers takes over $132M loan backing St. Regis Bal Harbour
Diego Lowenstein, Dayssi Olarte de Kanavos, Paul Kanavos, and Ronny Ben Josef, with The The Sagamore (Credit: The Sagamore Hotel)
Owners of Ritz-Carlton South Beach and Bal Harbour hotels merge with Sagamore
Owners of Ritz-Carlton South Beach and Bal Harbour hotels merge with Sagamore
Dina Goldentayer, Ryan Cohen and the Bal Bay Drive home (Credit: Kris Tamburello/Douglas Elliman)
Lawsuit alleges Harding Realty cut out of $24M Bal Harbour sale, reveals Chewy founder as alleged buyer
Lawsuit alleges Harding Realty cut out of $24M Bal Harbour sale, reveals Chewy founder as alleged buyer
Alex Sapir and Bella Sapir (Credit: Mark Von Holden/WireImage via Getty Images, and ADRIEL REBOH/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)
Alex Sapir’s family closes on condos at Sapir’s Arte in Surfside
Alex Sapir’s family closes on condos at Sapir’s Arte in Surfside
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...