Miami Beach to negotiate convention center hotel deal with Jackie Soffer and David Martin

Agreement could head to voters for approval in November

TRD MIAMI /
Jul.July 02, 2018 03:30 PM

Convention Center Hotel renderings with David Martin and Jackie Soffer

Miami Beach officials will soon begin hammering out a deal with the development team led by Jackie Soffer and David Martin to build a new convention center hotel.

On Monday, the city commission voted unanimously to let city manager Jimmy Morales negotiate the proposed terms with Miami Beach Connect, the development entity created by the powerhouse builders proposing an 185-foot-tall hotel with 800 rooms adjacent to the newly renovated Miami Beach Convention Center.

The goal is to have an agreement that Miami Beach residents can vote on in the November general election.

Soffer and Martin recruited Arquitectonica and its subsidiary Arquitectonica Geo to create a sleek project that incorporates environmentally conscious elements into the building design and landscaping that help combat flooding and other effects of climate change. Their Miami Beach Connect ensemble also features Craig Robins’ Dacra, which is conducting urban planning; Meyer Davis Studio, which is in charge of programming the restaurant; and Coastal Tishman, the general contractor.

While there appears to be overwhelming support among city commissioners for their proposal, the odds don’t favor the Soffer-Martin partnership. Residents have rejected previous convention center hotel referendums, most recently in 2016. Atlanta-based Portman Holdings had worked out a development deal with the city for a 288-foot, 800-room hotel that was defeated by voters.

Some commissioners cited concerns about traffic congestion and the number of rooms as long-standing reasons voters have said no to a convention center hotel.

Commissioner Michael Gongora said he was surprised Miami Beach Connect submitted an 800-key hotel proposal given voters rejected Portman’s version with the same number of rooms. “I am concerned that if it is still at 800 rooms, we may not get to where we want to be,” he said.

A Miami Beach Connect spokesperson previously told The Real Deal that the developer would be able to reduce the room count. However, Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau CEO Bill Talbert said that Miami Beach needs to have a hotel with at least 800 rooms in order to compete for major conventions.

If built, Miami Beach Connect’s hotel would rise on a surface parking lot next door to the convention center and behind the Fillmore at the Jackie Gleason Theater. The Soffer-Martin team has pegged the price tag between $348 million to $362 million. About 65 percent would be financed with construction loans and the remainder through partner equity.

Miami Beach Connect is offering the city 2.5 percent of the hotel’s gross operating revenues, which would come out to roughly $2 million in the fifth year of the deal. The two parties would enter into a 99-year ground lease. The city could collect $10.2 million a year when the revenue sharing is combined with taxes the project would have to pay.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Chad Carroll, Mariana Trentini, and Fabio Lopes, and Christopher Burch with 5050 North Bay Road

Heinz Brasil exec sells waterfront North Bay Road home to Christopher Burch

Jeffrey Soffer and Fontainebleau Miami Beach

Fontainebleau Miami Beach reveals proposed addition

David Martin, Russell Galbut, and a 500 Alton rendering (Credit: The Next Miami)

Miami Beach, Crescent Heights, Terra agree to settle dispute over floor-to-area calculations

Amir Zwickel and a Showfields store

Showfields to bring new retail concept to Lincoln Road

David Arditi of Aria Development Group and 321 Ocean

Condo association alleges construction defects at 321 Ocean: lawsuit

Julian Cohen and a rendering of the project

Felix and Julian Cohen propose waterfront spec mansion on North Bay Road

1452 Washington Avenue (Credit: Google Maps, iStock)

Spanish investor buys mixed-use building near Española Way

Joseph Menaged with his units at Faena House and One57 (Credit: Facebook, Redfin, StreetEasy)

Father of “Property Wars” star pleads guilty to bank fraud

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...