Hamptons luxury homebuilder Jeffrey Collé pleaded not guilty to an assault charge in an East Hampton courtroom Thursday after he and broker Andrew Saunders got into a fistfight last week.
Collé pleaded not guilty to one charge of assault in the third degree, people familiar with the matter told The Real Deal. The judge in the case granted an order of protection barring Collé from being in the presence of Saunders and his wife.
A status hearing in the case is scheduled for Nov. 21.
A spokesperson for Collé told TRD, “A false narrative has been put forth, and the facts will show that Mr. Collé acted in self-defense.”
The charges stem from an incident that happened last Thursday evening at the East Hampton Grill. Accounts of the altercation differ, but sources said the two men got into a physical fight that included shoving and punching each other. Both sides claim the other was the instigator.
Saunders’ attorney, Anthony LaPinta, said Collé’s claim of self-defense is “as ridiculous as his other versions.”
“Mr. Collé continues to change his story,” LaPinta said. “Collé’s unprovoked attack was witnessed by many people and captured by security cameras. His failure to take responsibility for this targeted and intentional assault, as well as the outrageous lies he has told about it, concerns us.”