Police issue citations to 14 fisherman protesting East Hampton beach closure

Truck Beach was closed to public after Feb. court decision

Tri-State /
Oct.October 21, 2021 04:49 PM
Police issue citations to 14 fisherman protesting East Hampton beach closure

Truck Beach (Facebook via Safe Access for Everyone)

Police cited 14 Hampton fishermen for trespassing on Amagansett’s “Truck Beach” last week in protest for access to the stretch of sand.

The fishermen who drove their trucks across the beach as a demonstration were issued summonses and are set to appear in town justice court on Oct. 27, according to Newsday.

Dan Rodgers, an attorney representing the fishermen, said they will argue that they are legally allowed to access the beach.

The legal dispute over public access to the 4,000-foot beach started in 2009 with a lawsuit by local homeowners against the town. They sought to bar the public from driving onto the beach, a popular practice that gave the spot its nickname.

Rodgers pointed to an 1882 document as the origin of the dispute. That year, town trustees conveyed the parcel to developer Arthur Benson with the stipulation that the public could use it for fishing.

The New York State Supreme Court ruled in favor of public access in 2016, but that decision was overturned in February and the town was ordered to stop the public from driving on the beach.

The town appealed that decision before New York’s Court of Appeals, the highest court in the state, reaffirmed it.

Local officials vowed to keep up the fight and some have gone as far as saying they would attempt to condemn the 22 acres of the beach via eminent domain.

East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc said in June the town would “take every step necessary in order to [ensure] our traditional beach access rights,” and asked the public to stay away from the beach in the meantime.

It was the second protest by the fishermen over the decision. Rodgers told Newsday it won’t be their last action.

“I can tell you this, the baymen and women that I represent are going to fight like hell to maintain the right to something that they’ve done for 300 years,” he told the outlet.

Ken Silverman, president of the Dunes at Napeague Property Owners Association told Newsday the organization has no problem with commercial fishermen accessing the beach with permission, but “we don’t believe we have to allow the trucks.”

[Newsday] — Dennis Lynch 





    Related Articles

    arrow_forward_ios
    Battle royale over East Hampton Airport rages on
    Battle royale over East Hampton Airport rages on
    Battle royale over East Hampton Airport rages on
    East Hampton pursues affordable housing dev for former Baptist church
    East Hampton pursues affordable housing dev for former Baptist church
    East Hampton pursues affordable housing dev for former Baptist church
    Peloton CEO John Foley lists East Hampton home for $4.5M
    Peloton CEO John Foley lists East Hampton home for $4.5M
    Peloton CEO John Foley lists East Hampton home for $4.5M
    Moishe Mana, Eugene Lemay and the Mana Contemporary (Getty, Wikimedia)
    Moishe Mana employee indicted in $7.8M tax avoidance scheme
    Moishe Mana employee indicted in $7.8M tax avoidance scheme
    Galleria at Crystal Run at 1 Galleria Drive with Pyramid Management Group CEO Steve Congel (PyramidMG, Google Maps)
    Mall owner Pyramid Management reaches settlement on defaulted loan
    Mall owner Pyramid Management reaches settlement on defaulted loan
    Lloyd and Barbara Macklowe with the home at  51 West End Avenue (Google Maps, Getty)
    Harry Macklowe’s brother lists Hamptons home for $60M
    Harry Macklowe’s brother lists Hamptons home for $60M
    The Centre at Purchase and George Comfort & Sons CEO Peter Duncan (George Comfort & Sons)
    George Comfort & Sons escapes foreclosure on Westchester office campus
    George Comfort & Sons escapes foreclosure on Westchester office campus
    Ex-partners’ feud stalls $140M development in Port Chester
    Ex-partners’ feud stalls $140M development in Port Chester
    Ex-partners’ feud stalls $140M development in Port Chester
    arrow_forward_ios

    The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

    Loading...