The Real Deal New York

Gallery owner claims Fitzroy condo construction forced him to shut down

Mike Weiss claims gallery was damaged by demo work for JDS, Largo project

October 14, 2016 08:42AM


The Fitzroy

UPDATED, Oct. 14, 6:54 p.m.: The owner of a Chelsea art gallery blamed the Fitzroy condo development for its demise. Mike Weiss claims he was forced to shutter his eponymous gallery after demolition work for JDS Development and Largo Investments’ neighboring Fitzroy condo development caused damage to his space.

“We survived three hurricanes, a drop in the economy, but we can’t seem to survive this,” he said. Weiss claims he called 311 80 times and filed a lawsuit against the contractor.

“Just walking around in Chelsea, I don’t enjoy it anymore. There’s so much construction and noise,” he said. “If you can’t get walk-in traffic, why be in Chelsea?”

Last summer, JDS TRData LogoTINY secured a $74.5 million construction loan for the 10-story, 14-unit building. Prices range from about $5.2 million to $16.5 million at the Fitzroy. Sales launched last year and Douglas Elliman Development Marketing is heading sales at the building. According to StreetEasy, four sales have been logged and three units are in contract. Construction on the condo building is expected to be completed in 2017.

“The Fitzroy has not been issued any violations by the Department of Buildings ​related to​ ​the numerous baseless​ complaints from the Mike Weiss Gallery,” a spokesperson for the developer told TRD. “Additionally, the frivolous injunction filed by the galley was withdrawn. The partnership behind The Fitzroy has a long history developing and building successful projects that enhance their neighborhoods with minimal impact to their immediate surroundings, a track record the partnership takes great pride in.”  [Artnews] — Konrad Putzier