The Real Deal New York

Burned body of Menachem Stark found in Great Neck

January 04, 2014 03:00PM

Menachem Stark

Menachem Stark (Photo credit: Eli Wohl)

WEEKENDEDITION The badly burned body of Williamsburg developer Menachem Stark has been found in a Great Neck dumpster outside a gas station.

Stark, a member of the Satmar Hasidic sect, was kidnapped late Thursday night by two assailants outside his office on Rutledge Street near Broadway, police said.

A gas station employee in Great Neck discovered the body around 4 p.m., Friday, and the Nassau County Police were immediately alerted. It took until today to confirm it was Stark, according to the New York Post.

While the motive for the murder is yet unclear, Stark had gained several enemies, including tenants complaining of squalid living conditions, lenders who never received payments and opponents of his development projects.

Stark’s family described him as “a good man, who was well-liked.” Stark’s brother Yitzky had been offering a $100,000 reward for his brother’s safe return. [NYP] Christopher Cameron

30 Responses to “Burned body of Menachem Stark found in Great Neck”

1. January 04, 2014 at 3:49 pm, E&A said:

Max will be dearly missed. He was a good man. He always had a nice word for friends and colleagues. What a horrific way to go. Our condolences to his family, we wish them all the love, courage and strength in continuing their lives without Max.

• January 05, 2014 at 3:18 am, mitchel said:

He as a “good” man??? Oh how is that???? He was a SLUMLORD, and a fraudster!! HE DESERVED what he got!!!

2. January 04, 2014 at 5:28 pm, NS said:

A very sad day. a very good man. a mensch. A”H. our condolences to his family and friends.

• January 07, 2014 at 2:13 pm, Jeff Putterman said:

When did the definition of mensch change to include fraudsters who are also loan sharks? I missed that part in Hebrew School.

• January 07, 2014 at 2:23 pm, NS said:

he always paid me on time. he always went above and beyond to make sure my customers were happy. he loved his family and would make sure they had his attention at the dinner table. He cared about everyone he dealt with through me. I knew him. he was the definition of a good man.

did you know him? clearly not. he got caught up in some stuff which you know nothing about, then looked to dirty the honor of a good man? – real brave.

As for missing that part of Hebrew school, he had no issue with my religiosity or lack thereof – it’s interesting how you had to take such a jab in your comment.

don’t bother responding, I couldn’t care less what you have to say – you clearly didn’t know the guy. my friend.

3. January 04, 2014 at 7:38 pm, Mgm719 said:

A very sad day for humankind….and shame on those that slap the title of slumlord to anybody that owns a pre-war building, especially when the individual being discussed was just horribly murdered.

4. January 04, 2014 at 10:20 pm, Amos said:

So much for being chosen. What happened? Where was his god during the kidnapping?

• January 04, 2014 at 10:27 pm, Doc said:

Have some respect, a man was murdered.

• January 04, 2014 at 11:44 pm, Andy said:

So much for you not being chosen for anything other than a hateful bigot Amos, you empty excuse of a human being. I truly pity the hollow mind from which thoughts such as yours emit. Andy

• January 05, 2014 at 12:04 am, Phil Landsberg said:

You’re pathetic scum

• January 05, 2014 at 10:26 am, JC said:

Jealous!?

• January 06, 2014 at 11:25 am, Samantha said:

disgusting, are you human?

• January 06, 2014 at 12:36 pm, Moises said:

There is no god or yhwe.
      Their leaders are CON ARTISTS.
      Their followers are IDIOTS.

• January 07, 2014 at 11:31 am, housegal49 said:

God gives man free will and man has chosen brutality. Do not blame God for the choices we make.

• January 09, 2014 at 5:35 pm, Moises said:

So much censorship/deleting goes on here. We know it’s a propaganda RE blog for the chosen but what the hell???

5. January 05, 2014 at 1:54 am, Chuck said:

Phil and Doc, Amos makes a good point. Sad story, but good point.

6. January 05, 2014 at 10:56 am, Amos said:

What…Being burned alive and worshiping a god that doesn’t exist? Nah, I’m not jealous.

7. January 05, 2014 at 1:49 pm, Lord_Mithras said:

Wow, what a scumbag, I can’t believe he wasn’t Christian.

8. January 05, 2014 at 1:50 pm, Lord_Mithras said:

Just remember, people get what they deserve, no matter how fuzzy your hat is.

9. January 05, 2014 at 6:17 pm, Jim Jameson said:

People don’t get murdered for nothing, just saying. Better watch out when borrowing from those hard money lenders aka modern day loan sharks. Sad story, however when you do shitty things you get fed shit.

10. January 05, 2014 at 8:13 pm, Brooklyn Lion said:

I guess, a “good man” and “well-liked” is susceptible to different meanings.

11. January 05, 2014 at 8:55 pm, James said:

Yeah, he was such a “good man” that people decided to kidnap and burn him alive.

• January 06, 2014 at 8:10 am, Intheknow said:

So he must have been a great man… Great at ripping people off and ruining lives!

12. January 06, 2014 at 12:35 am, jack said:

Max was the most beloved lanlord I ever had!

• January 07, 2014 at 2:14 pm, Jeff Putterman said:

You must have lived in some real shirtholes.

13. January 06, 2014 at 9:19 am, Jesse said:

Doc, Have some respect because he got murdered? That’s like saying, show some respect to Bin Laden because he was killed. . .although really, I don’t know who is a worse human being between Bin Laden and Starks.

14. January 06, 2014 at 9:36 am, 123 said:

you have some serious issues Amos.
    Hatred is the last thing we need in this world – your comparison to Bin Laden or sympathy to the kidnappers makes me wonder – no enough love from mom?

15. January 06, 2014 at 8:12 pm, Tena said:

Where was his god when he needed him the most is an absolute reasonable question. You pray to a god for protection, guidance, etc. Your responses to his question are disgusting, and scummy.

16. January 24, 2014 at 3:36 am, roy said:

He was my landlord for 5 years, was the nicest Guy I ever meet,
    Was a stand up Guy who did a lot for me when I struggled, I can’t say enough good things
    You will be missed dear friend…

comment form

You must be logged in to post a comment.

MENU