The Real Deal New York

This month in real estate history

When Columbia's “Upper Estate” went commercial

March 27, 2014 10:30AM
By Adam Pincus

  • Print
Fifth Avenue between 48th and 49th streets

Fifth Avenue between 48th and 49th streets

From the March issue: Following the slow progression uptown of Manhattan’s business districts, the first reports emerged that Columbia University trustees had decided to allow commercial uses within a large tract of land filled with residential buildings in Midtown 107 years ago this month.

In 1814, the state granted the school most of the land between 48th and 51st streets and Fifth and Sixth avenues, known as the Upper Estate. [more]

MENU

Subscribe to our email newsletters

New York Real Estate News
South Florida Real Estate News