The Real Deal New York

Menachem Stark did not leave a will

Slain developer's assets to be listed in bankruptcy, surrogate’s courts

April 02, 2014 09:59AM

MenachemStoryCover

Menachem Stark (right) with his wife Bashie and son

Brooklyn developer Menachem Stark, whose slaying has yet to yield an arrest, did not have a will, according to court records. His widow Bashie Stark was appointed yesterday as administrator of the estate, which will be required to list all of Stark’s assets in bankruptcy court as well as surrogate’s court. Bashie’s seven children have been named as beneficiaries.

“The assets of the estate are unknown,” Seth Rubenstein, a lawyer for the widow, said. “The administrator must appear in a bankruptcy proceeding whose resolution may or may not bring assets into the estate.”

The 39-year-old developer’s body was found in a Long Island dumpster in January. Stark owed several million dollars to multiple creditors and was the defendant in several lawsuits. Investigators said earlier this week they are closing in on a suspect in the killing.

Stark’s firm, South Side Associates, defaulted on a loan in 2009 on a 74-unit Williamsburg property, which is tied to a federal bankruptcy case involving a $40 million debt.

Last month, he posthumously won a synagogue raffle that resulted in a $18,000 prize for his family. [NYDN]Mark Maurer

MENU