Pools, mansions, row houses landmarked

July 24, 2007 12:00AM

The Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to grant landmark status to three WPA-era swimming pools, two Midtown mansions on West 56th Street, and two Federal-style row houses in the Village. The pools–Brooklyn’s McCarren Play Center and Sunset Play Center, and East Harlem’s Thomas Jefferson Play Center–were built in 1936 with WPA funds. The two Midtown properties at 10 and 30 West 56th Street exemplify the type of townhouse built by early 20th century financiers on that block, which was known as Banker’s Row. The Federal-style row houses in the Village, at 486 and 488 Greenwich Street, were both built around 1823, and the LPC considers them important examples of the city’s development following the Revolutionary War. TRD


Comments are closed.