Landmarks Commission designates Webster Hall, Flatbush district

March 18, 2008 04:13PM

The Landmarks Preservation Commission voted today to landmark seven buildings in Manhattan and Queens, including the East Village music venue Webster Hall, and a 12-block historic district in Brooklyn’s Flatbush neighborhood.

Along with Webster Hall, built in 1886 at 125 East 11th Street, the commission designated four other East Village buildings: the synagogue Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe at 242 East 7th Street; Elizabeth Home for Girls at 307 East 12th Street; and the Free Public Baths of the City of New York at 538 East 11th Street

In Midtown, the Allerton House at 145 East 39th Street, a long-term
residential hotel for single men built in 1918, was landmarked.

The LPC also approved the nomination of 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza,Including Both The Tower And The Plaza, to be considered for landmark designation.  

The LPC designated its 91st historic district, Fiske Terrace-Midwood Park in Flatbush. The district includes about 250 houses, most of which were developed in 1914 by two prominent builders, the T.B. Ackerson Company and John R. Corbin Company. TRD