Foreigners eye trophy towers

New York /
Jun.June 12, 2008 09:11 AM

Foreigners have their sights set on iconic New York City towers, but seem content to operate in the background. The Post reports that Abu Dhabi Investment Council could spend $800 million on a 75 percent stake in the Chrysler Building, but would remain a silent partner, leaving Tishman Speyer, which has a 25 percent stake, to control the building. Time reports that Italian real estate investor Valter Mainetti has purchased a majority stake in the Flatiron building. The Mort Zuckerman-led group that just closed on the GM Building was backed by Middle Eastern investors. The trend isn’t new: Istithmar, a Dubai fund, bought the Helmsley tower at 230 Park Avenue in November 2005 for $705 million, and also bought 450 Lexington Avenue and the Knickerbocker Hotel at 6 Times Square. Last year, Israeli investors bought the Lipstick Building at 53rd Street and Third Avenue. Israeli firm Elad Properties bought the Plaza Hotel for $675 million in 2004 and transformed much of it into a phenomenally successful condo building. TRD


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Matt Lauer exposes Hamptons estate to the market
Matt Lauer exposes Hamptons estate to the market
Matt Lauer exposes Hamptons estate to the market
 Fredrik Eklund and the property (Getty, Steve Frankel)
Fredrik Eklund lists Bel Air mansion for rent as family moves to “forever home”
Fredrik Eklund lists Bel Air mansion for rent as family moves to “forever home”
Gordon Ramsey and his Lucky Cat restaurant (Lucky Cat)
Gordon Ramsay to open first South Florida restaurant in Miami Beach
Gordon Ramsay to open first South Florida restaurant in Miami Beach
Seattle Seahawks receiver and newly-licensed realtor Tyler Lockett along with 812 245th Place Northeast in Sammamish, Washington (Photo Illustration by Steven Dilakian for The Real Deal with Getty Images and Redfin)
NFL star earns his real estate wings
NFL star earns his real estate wings
Toll Brothers' Douglas Yearly and property at Sparks, Nevada (Toll Brothers)
“Honey, I bought the town:” Buyer ends up with big chunk of subdivision
“Honey, I bought the town:” Buyer ends up with big chunk of subdivision
Mark Cuban with Mustang Texas (Illustration by The Real Deal with Getty)
Mark Cuban’s Jurassic Park is extinct
Mark Cuban’s Jurassic Park is extinct
Alex and Sue Glasscock with 150 Sister Servants Ln (Loopnet, Getty)
Celebrity favorite Ranch Malibu to open in Hudson Valley
Celebrity favorite Ranch Malibu to open in Hudson Valley
75 Park Lane South (Plaza Construction)
This year’s top-selling Hudson County homes
This year’s top-selling Hudson County homes
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...