New building applications in Manhattan fall to three

New York /
Oct.October 30, 2008 02:33 PM

There were just three new building permit applications filed for Manhattan construction projects in September — the lowest number since September 2001, when only a single application was filed.

The three applications — which represent an 87 percent drop from the 23 filed in the same month last year —  were for buildings in Chelsea, the East Village and Harlem. In August, there were eight applications for buildings in Manhattan, according to Department of Buildings records.

The average number of applications filed over the past 12 months in Manhattan was 17.7. Meanwhile, citywide last month there were 222 permit applications — a drop from 318 in September 2007. In general there are more permit applications in the outer boroughs. That’s because one- to three-family homes which dominate outside of Manhattan each get a single permit, in the same way that a large, multiple-unit building does within Manhattan.

Building applications are key predictors of future development activity, and the low number of them was greeted with concern by contractors.

Alfred Gerosa, the chairman of the executive committee of the Cement League, an association of concrete construction contractors, said developers did not have funds to move forward on projects.

“We are in trouble if there are only three filed. That means things are slowing up,” he said. “You can look for quite a bit of unemployment, certainly for union laborers and contractors.”
 
The building applications filed for were for a four-story convent at 454 Convent Avenue in Harlem; an eight-story, 34-unit residential building at 59 East 2nd Street in the East Village; and a two-story commercial building at 508 West 20th Street in Chelsea, DOB records showed.

 

Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Matt Lauer exposes Hamptons estate to the market
Matt Lauer exposes Hamptons estate to the market
Matt Lauer exposes Hamptons estate to the market
 Fredrik Eklund and the property (Getty, Steve Frankel)
Fredrik Eklund lists Bel Air mansion for rent as family moves to “forever home”
Fredrik Eklund lists Bel Air mansion for rent as family moves to “forever home”
Gordon Ramsey and his Lucky Cat restaurant (Lucky Cat)
Gordon Ramsay to open first South Florida restaurant in Miami Beach
Gordon Ramsay to open first South Florida restaurant in Miami Beach
TRD EDU
Stay atop the market (and ahead of your competition) with TRD EDU
Stay atop the market (and ahead of your competition) with TRD EDU
Tax assessments rise 9%, signaling higher bills for landlords
Tax assessments rise 9%, signaling higher bills for landlords
Tax assessments rise 9%, signaling higher bills for landlords
Regal at 106 Court Street (Downtown Brooklyn Partnership)
Regal theater on Downtown Brooklyn’s Court Street unexpectedly shuttered
Regal theater on Downtown Brooklyn’s Court Street unexpectedly shuttered
From left: Ryan Johnson and Jeff Berens, co-founders of Culdesac, in front of a rendering of Culdesac Tempe (Culdesac, iStock)
Startup that wants to build car-free cities raises $30M Series A
Startup that wants to build car-free cities raises $30M Series A
From left: Stephen Schwarzman, chairman, Blackstone; Barry Sternlicht, chief executive officer, Starwood Capital Group (Getty Images, Brookfield Asset Management/Illustration by Steven Dilakian for The Real Deal)
Blackstone, Starwood to pay $1.5B for WoodSpring Suites properties
Blackstone, Starwood to pay $1.5B for WoodSpring Suites properties
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...