Feds seek forfeiture at 650 Fifth Ave.

New York /
Dec.December 17, 2008 02:22 PM

The United States is seeking the forfeiture of a minority interest in the office tower 650 Fifth Avenue at 52nd Street, alleging the company which owns the share is illegally transferring money to Iran, according to the office of the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

The U.S. government is suing Assa Corporation, to turn over its 40 percent interest in the 36-story, 336,000-square-foot building, because the government claims the company is secretly controlled by an Iranian bank, Bank Melli, prosecutors said. The building is owned by the 650 Fifth Avenue Company, which is 40 percent owned by Bank Melli through Assa Corporation and another entity, Assa Company Limited. The other 60 percent of the building is owned by the Alavi Foundation.

The civil forfeiture complaint was filed in Manhattan Federal Court today.

According to a 1995 law, no goods or services can be transferred to Iran or its government without an export license from the Department of Treasury.

In 1999, Bank Melli was identified by the U.S. as owned and controlled by the Iranian government.
 


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
(Image by Wolfgang & Hite via Dezeen)

Hudson Yards megadevelopment inspires a new line of sex toys

Hudson Yards megadevelopment inspires a new line of sex toys
Cammeby's International Group founder Rubin Schron and, from top: 194-05 67th Avenue, 189-15 73rd Avenue and 64-05 186th Lane (Credit: Google Maps)

Ruby Schron lands $500M refi for sprawling Queens apartment portfolio

Ruby Schron lands $500M refi for sprawling Queens apartment portfolio
Wendy Silverstein (Credit: Getty Images)

Wendy Silverstein, co-head of WeWork’s real-estate fund, is out

Wendy Silverstein, co-head of WeWork’s real-estate fund, is out
176 North 6th Street and 16 South Portland Avenue in Brooklyn (StreetEasy; Google Maps)

Brooklyn luxury market surges with nearly $73M in contracts

Brooklyn luxury market surges with nearly $73M in contracts
Extell Development's Gary Barnett and 32 West 48th Street (Google Maps)

Extell makes its Diamond District hotel official

Extell makes its Diamond District hotel official
1045 Madison Avenue and 300 Central Park West (The Benson; Wikipedia Commons)

Manhattan luxury market shows signs of progress with 25 deals

Manhattan luxury market shows signs of progress with 25 deals
Ryan Serhant and B6 Advisors' Zach Redding and Dylan Kane with 809 Madison Avenue (Getty; Google Maps; B6)

Serhant, B6 team up to market UES rent-to-condo conversion

Serhant, B6 team up to market UES rent-to-condo conversion
From left: President Donald Trump, Blackstone's Jonathan Gray and Tishman Speyer's Rob Speyer (Getty)

Real estate execs, business leaders urge Trump to begin transition

Real estate execs, business leaders urge Trump to begin transition
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...