Phoenix expected to keep WTC job, sources said

April 28, 2009 09:19AM

According to the Post, Phoenix Constructors was not aware that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey was going to dump the firm as the main contractor on the World Trade Center transportation hub. Sources said Phoenix  — a joint venture of Fluor Enterprises, Skanska USA Civil Northeast, Granite Construction and Bovis Lend Lease — expected to stay on the job since it just signed a lease for 55,000 square feet at 100 Broadway and the Port Authority was its only client. The PA is now managing the project itself, and will bid out work to individual contractors, which Phoenix will be allowed to apply for. Christopher Ward, the PA’s executive director, said it made the change to take advantage of falling construction prices, although sources said the PA’s relationship with Phoenix has been unstable for years. The New York Observer reported the split between Phoenix and the PA last week.