Striking concrete workers ordered to return to some construction sites

TRD New York /
Aug.August 03, 2011 03:31 PM

Concrete workers that abandoned some construction sites in the wake of their expired labor contract were ordered to return to their jobs Tuesday night. Crain’s reported that an arbitrator ruled that concrete laborers at West 57th Street, Madison Square Garden, Barclays Center and Tower 2 of the World Trade Center were in violation of a no-strike provision in labor agreements at those sites.

The Cement and Concrete Workers District Council plans to appeal the ruling, Crain’s said, as it will argue that the no-strike agreement is not applicable since the contract expired in June. But by Wednesday workers at all four sites were back on the job. A similar hearing is scheduled today for walkouts at The New Weill Cornell Medical College On East 69th Street.

“When we got the [project labor agreement], the main thing we got out of it was the no-strike clause,” said Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York. “The fact that we had the PLA and enforced it, and they’re back working today demonstrates there was a value to the PLA.”

Crain’s noted that as the strikes at other sites wear on, workers in other construction fields will continue to lose jobs. Five hundred workers from other trades have already lost work. Meanwhile, as previously reported, two dozen carpenters have also walked of the World Trade Center site in support of the concrete workers during their contract impasse. [Crain’s]


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
John Banks

High expectations: A look at John Banks’ 4 years at REBNY

High expectations: A look at John Banks’ 4 years at REBNY
John Banks

John Banks to step down as REBNY president

John Banks to step down as REBNY president
REBNY Awards

Newmark Knight Frank wins REBNY retail award for Alamo Drafthouse deal in FiDi

Newmark Knight Frank wins REBNY retail award for Alamo Drafthouse deal in FiDi
Douglas Durst (Getty)

Douglas Durst tapped to be next REBNY chair

Douglas Durst tapped to be next REBNY chair
Ninve James 

REBNY taps Realtor.com exec to lead RLS

REBNY taps Realtor.com exec to lead RLS
Plaza Hotel (Getty)

Why it has taken four years for the Plaza to fix a balcony

Why it has taken four years for the Plaza to fix a balcony
REBNY’s James Whelan and New York Attorney General Letitia James (Getty Images; iStock)

Broker-fee ban lawsuit postponed for the third time

Broker-fee ban lawsuit postponed for the third time
From left: Sandhya Espitia, John Canniffe and Jim Whelan (Linkedin, Whelan by Evan Gutierrez)

REBNY’s RLS chief bows out

REBNY’s RLS chief bows out
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...