Atlantic Yards opponent under fire for home expansion plans

October 03, 2011 03:14PM

One of the main opponents of Bruce Ratner’s Atlantic Yard’s project is
now under fire himself for construction work he plans to do his Park Slope
home, the New York Daily News reported.

Daniel Goldstein, co-founder of the activist group Develop Don’t
Destroy Brooklyn, got a $3 million settlement from Ratner to move out
his Prospect Heights condominium last year.
But since then, he has bought a new house in Park Slope for $812,000.
His new neighbor, Kathryn Roake, said that his plans for an 18-foot,
three-story addition to the back of his building will block the light
to her fruit and vegetable garden. The structure will also block the
light to her kitchen windows, Roake said, adding that she’s afraid
construction work will damage her walls and foundation.

ROAKE and other neighbors said they wrote a letter to Goldstein and his wife this
summer, but said they got no response.
“I respectfully request that you reconsider your plans. It would be
more pleasant and less expensive than six-year lawsuits, stop work
orders and building department violations,” they wrote.

Goldstein did not respond to the Daily News’ requests for comment. [NYDN]