WTC theater plans stall as Bloomberg awaits Cuomo’s picks for directors board

December 08, 2011 08:27AM

Plans for the 1,000-seat Joyce Theater and performing arts space at the World Trade Center site have stalled as the Bloomberg administration waits for Gov. Andrew Cuomo to name representatives to the Frank Gehry-designed arts center’s board of directors, the institution of which is necessary for $100 million in funding, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has consistently supported the center, has picked his appointees for the board, which must be formed by Dec. 31 for the project to remain eligible for Lower Manhattan Development Corporation funding. Cuomo has not named anyone so far, leading some to speculate that he is purposefully dragging his heels, trying to win the funds for other projects.

“We remain confident that the mayor and the governor will have a meeting of the minds on this,” said Michael McKeon, a spokesman for the Joyce.

The appointed new board would be responsible for raising the necessary funds for the building’s construction and would have input into its exact location at the site, the Journal said. [WSJ]