Tavern bid too “casual” for Trump

March 29, 2012 09:30AM

On the eve of the deadline for potential operators to submit proposals for the Tavern on the Green, Donald Trump said he would not get involved in the bidding, DNA info reported.

Trump struck an agreement with the union that represents Tavern employees — a sticking point in previous bids for the restaurant —and said last year that he’d spend $20 million to rehabilitating the space. But all that went out the window when the city said it sought proposals for a “casual dining” eatery.

“We only get involved with projects that are super high-quality and luxury,” said Ron Lieberman, executive vice president of management and development at the Trump Organization. “For us to be involved we would want to turn it back to its glory and make it one of the greatest restaurants in the world.”

Meanwhile, groups headed by Drew Nieporent, Mario Batali, and the operators of Yankee Stadium concessions have all shown interest in rehabilitating the Tavern, which closed at the end of 2009. [DNAinfo]