Dumbo’s Beacon Tower developer faces RICO suit

TRD New York /
Aug.August 07, 2012 11:30 AM

Dumbo’s Beacon Tower has been hit with a $150 million racketeering suit, the New York Post reported. The suit, which alleges violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), was filed in Brooklyn Supreme Court last week and accuses the sponsors, engineer and architect at the building of falsifying Department of Buildings records to obtain the temporary certificate of occupancy. The condo board’s engineers said in the complaint that they found fire stops that DOB records showed had been put in place had not been installed.

The suit alleges that none of the amendments to the sponsor’s offering plan showed the construction defects and lack of fire stops, the Post said. Developer Shaya Boymelgreen, long dogged by tenant complaints and lawsuits, is the building’s sponsor, and the architect is Cetra/Reddy, the Post said. [Post]


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios

Boymelgreen banned from selling condos in NY for two years

As Brooklyn booms, construction defects spike

Boymelgreen sells BK rental for $76M, triples his money

Judge tells Boymelgreen to hand over 15 Broad Street records

Africa Israel appeals ban on its condo sales

Boymelgreen: My family firm owes $50M in court judgments

Africa Israel asks New York court to lift selling ban on firm

Ruling hands Africa Israel win in Downtown Condominium battle

arrow_forward_ios