Feds to fund 100 percent of NYC’s Sandy recovery

TRD New York /
Mar.March 28, 2013 09:00 AM

The federal government will cover New York City’s entire cost of Hurricane Sandy-related recovery, according to a new report from the city’s Independent Budget Office seen by Crain’s. 

Roughly 90 percent of the $6.3 billion in Sandy-related emergency and recovery spending will be funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA. The remaining 10 percent will come through community development block grant funds.

The city has been banking on federal aid, Doug Turetsky, chief of staff at the Independent Budget Office, told Crain’s. Turetsky added that it was “good news we won’t be left footing part of that bill ourselves.” FEMA reimbursements for natural disasters begin at 75%, with Congress having the wiggle room to push that figure to 90 percent.

The report also showed federal allocations for cleanup, relief and repair needs — $1.4 billion — and capital improvement needs — $3.1 billion — as well as current costs of Sandy-associated city labor — $341 million. The city also received a further $1.8 billion in federal community development funds, which will help with public housing and business recovery. The city’s Rapid Repairs program — which enables landlords to make timely fixes to restore heat, power and hot water — cost $500 million. [Crain’s]  – Hiten Samtani


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Fairway at 480-500 Van Brunt Street in Red Hook and the O’Connell Organization's Greg O’Connell (Credit: Google Maps)

Fairway landlord: Private-equity owners ruined Red Hook store

Fairway landlord: Private-equity owners ruined Red Hook store
Mayor Bill de Blasio and subway damage caused by Hurricane Sandy (Credit: Getty Images)

Program to rebuild Sandy-damaged homes needs extra $92M

Program to rebuild Sandy-damaged homes needs extra $92M
Army Corps of Engineers Commander Lt. Gen. Todd Semonite and flooding caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 (inset) (Credit: Getty Images)

A $119B seawall still might not protect Manhattan, critics say

A $119B seawall still might not protect Manhattan, critics say
Islanders expect to break ground on Belmont arena project this summer, late composer’s Sands Point estate has another price cut & more Long Island real estate news

Islanders expect to break ground on Belmont arena project this summer, late composer’s Sands Point estate has another price cut & more Long Island real estate news

Islanders expect to break ground on Belmont arena project this summer, late composer’s Sands Point estate has another price cut & more Long Island real estate news
Plans for NYC’s storm-surge barrier raise environmental concerns

Plans for NYC’s storm-surge barrier raise environmental concerns

Plans for NYC’s storm-surge barrier raise environmental concerns
Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Bravo TV’s Andy Cohen buys on Amagansett oceanfront, vacant Sagaponack parcel sells for $11.3M… & more

Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Bravo TV’s Andy Cohen buys on Amagansett oceanfront, vacant Sagaponack parcel sells for $11.3M… & more

Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Bravo TV’s Andy Cohen buys on Amagansett oceanfront, vacant Sagaponack parcel sells for $11.3M… & more
Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Hamptonites spend big to secure properties amid MS-13 fears … & more

Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Hamptonites spend big to secure properties amid MS-13 fears … & more

Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Hamptonites spend big to secure properties amid MS-13 fears … & more
Coney Island Hospital moves forward with $738M renovation plan

Coney Island Hospital moves forward with $738M renovation plan

Coney Island Hospital moves forward with $738M renovation plan
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...