Mayoral candidate settles family feud over UES brownstone

TRD New York /
Aug.August 01, 2013 05:30 PM

Mayoral candidate George McDonald and his wife, accused of taking out nearly $1.5 million in mortgage loans in her father’s name and then forcing him out of their Upper East Side brownstone, have quietly settled the court case, DNAinfo reported.

The focal point of the legal wrangle was a townhouse at 232 East 84th Street that McDonald and his father-in-law, Emanuel Karr, bought together in 1989. Karr put in $250,000 at the time, with McDonald contributing $30,000, according to a filing by Barbara Spector-Karr — Karr’s second wife — in Manhattan Surrogate’s Court, cited by DNAinfo.

Karr owned 89 percent of the brownstone under a partnership agreement, while McDonald and his wife, Harriet Karr-McDonald, held the remaining 11 percent.

Karr lived in the brownstone until his first wife died, but relocated when he remarried in 1995.

Karr died in 2011 from injuries suffered in a fall down the stairs in a new apartment. As the executor and beneficiary of his estate, Spector-Karr filed a petition in August 2012 accusing the McDonalds of wrongfully withholding funds from him.

Since her husband owned 89 percent of the brownstone, Spector-Karr argued, the McDonalds owed his estate $1.33 million, or 89 percent of the value of the loans.

The McDonalds called the claims frivolous and denied that Karr’s estate had any legal claim to money from the loan, in a legal filing cited by DNAinfo.

An attorney for Spector-Karr’s family declined to comment to DNAinfo. [DNAinfo]Julie Strickland


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
(Image by Wolfgang & Hite via Dezeen)

Hudson Yards megadevelopment inspires a new line of sex toys

Hudson Yards megadevelopment inspires a new line of sex toys
Cammeby's International Group founder Rubin Schron and, from top: 194-05 67th Avenue, 189-15 73rd Avenue and 64-05 186th Lane (Credit: Google Maps)

Ruby Schron lands $500M refi for sprawling Queens apartment portfolio

Ruby Schron lands $500M refi for sprawling Queens apartment portfolio
Wendy Silverstein (Credit: Getty Images)

Wendy Silverstein, co-head of WeWork’s real-estate fund, is out

Wendy Silverstein, co-head of WeWork’s real-estate fund, is out
Highgate’s Mahmood Khimji (left) and Mehdi Khimji (Credit: Kelly Taub/BFA.com)

Colony deal puts Highgate among biggest hotel owners

Colony deal puts Highgate among biggest hotel owners
Arker Companies principal Alex Arker and 51-19 Beach Channel Drive in Edgemere (Arker Companies; Google Maps)

Arker Companies begins massive redevelopment of former Queens hospital

Arker Companies begins massive redevelopment of former Queens hospital
Spencer Rascoff (Getty; iStock)

Zillow co-founder Spencer Rascoff to start blank-check company

Zillow co-founder Spencer Rascoff to start blank-check company
175 Water Street and Nathan Berman of Metro Loft Management (Berman via CityRealty)

Inside Metro Loft’s new design for 175 Water Street

Inside Metro Loft’s new design for 175 Water Street
Many NYC companies are not sending employees back to work in Manhattan offices (iStock)

Just 10% of Manhattan employees are back at the office

Just 10% of Manhattan employees are back at the office
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...