WTC fence to come down after 13 years

New York /
Jan.January 27, 2014 08:38 AM

A fence that has cordoned off the World Trade Center site from the rest of Downtown for the past 13 years is set to come down – at least partially – in 2014. The move will allow visitors to the 9/11 Memorial to move freely between the memorial and the neighborhood, according to Joe Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

The exact timeline for pulling down the blue fence, however, is yet to be determined. A spokesperson for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, said earlier this month that the fencing would be brought down along the west side of The Memorial Plaza Along West Street, The South End Along Liberty Street and a portion of Greenwich Street.

Removing the fence is an important psychological step in healing from the tragedy of the September 11 attacks, Downtown Residents And Business Owners Told The Wall Street Journal.

“The design of the memorial has always been about connecting the site back to the city and making this part of the city whole again,” 9/11 memorial designer Michael Arad told the newspaper.

The move to bring the fence down is also likely to boost leasing at the site, Jody Durst, president of the Durst Organization, told the Journal. The Durst Organization developed One World Trade Center in a joint venture with the Port Authority.

“People have felt banished up until now,” Durst said. [WSJ]  – Hiten Samtani


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
The bus terminal was built in the 1950s and designed to serve one fourth of the riders it sees today. (Getty)
Port Authority to raze, replace “hell on earth” bus terminal
Port Authority to raze, replace “hell on earth” bus terminal
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and 3 World Trade Center (Getty)
Uber looks to sublet 25% of its 3 World Trade Center office
Uber looks to sublet 25% of its 3 World Trade Center office
TRD's Erik Enguist and Port Authority's Rick Cotton
Port Authority, out $3B, has waterfront land to sell
Port Authority, out $3B, has waterfront land to sell
TRD's Erik Enguist and Port Authority's Rick Cotton
Can the Port Authority bring NYC back? Tune in to TRD Talks Wednesday
Can the Port Authority bring NYC back? Tune in to TRD Talks Wednesday
Douglas Durst (Getty)
Douglas Durst tapped to be next REBNY chair
Douglas Durst tapped to be next REBNY chair
Douglas Durst and a rendering of the project (Getty, DRWC)
Durst’s $2B Philly waterfront redevelopment project approved
Durst’s $2B Philly waterfront redevelopment project approved
Substantial tax incentives put in place to help Lower Manhattan recover from the 9/11 terrorist attacks are still active 19 years later. (Getty Images)
19 years after 9/11, does Lower Manhattan still need subsidies?
19 years after 9/11, does Lower Manhattan still need subsidies?
Port Authority Bus Terminal and AECOM CEO Troy Rudd (Roger Rowlett via Wikipedia; AECOM)
“Worst place on earth” may be buried underground
“Worst place on earth” may be buried underground
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...