City halts South Street Seaport tower, launches task force

New York /
Jan.January 29, 2014 04:15 PM

The city has put on hold Howard Hughes Corporation’s plan for a 50-story hotel and apartment tower at the South Street Seaport.

Community Board 1 chair Catherine McVay Hughes announced the halt Tuesday at the board’s monthly meeting, telling the assembled crowd that a “community-driven” South Street Seaport Task Force including community members, elected officials, the South Street Seaport Museum and the city’s Economic Development Corp. is to be formed.

The move is a big delay for the developer. Howard Hughes Corp. planned to launch a city land use review process of the plans, including restoring the landmarked Tin Building, adding a food market and constructing a new marina, later this year. The company previously said its controversial 600-foot residential tower is necessary to fund the infrastructure improvements it has promised. Local residents say the SHoP Architect-designed structure doesn’t fit with the area, however.

CB1 chair Hughes told the crowd that more details on the planned task force — plans she said were hammered out among Councilwoman Margaret Chin, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver — will be available next week. [Tribeca Tribune]Julie Strickland


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Museum funding snafu sets back Seaport project
Museum funding snafu sets back Seaport project
Museum funding snafu sets back Seaport project
The parking lot at 250 Water Street (New York Public Library)
What’s next for a 50-year-old parking lot in NYC’s oldest neighborhood?
What’s next for a 50-year-old parking lot in NYC’s oldest neighborhood?
Gotham Organization Chairman Joel Picket with the proposed development at 130 Felix Street. (Getty, 130 Felix)
These projects just beat the rezoning deadline
These projects just beat the rezoning deadline
The complaint against the tower includes loss of views for current residents in the neighborhood. (Getty)
Seaport community groups sue to block Howard Hughes’ Water Street tower
Seaport community groups sue to block Howard Hughes’ Water Street tower
The Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O'Reilly (LinkedIn via David O'Reilly)
Howard Hughes’ (slightly less) big Seaport project approved
Howard Hughes’ (slightly less) big Seaport project approved
A rendering of 250 Water Street, Landmarks Preservation Commission chair Sarah Carroll and Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly (Center for Architecture, The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Howard Hughes told to further refine Seaport tower proposal
Howard Hughes told to further refine Seaport tower proposal
Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly and 250 Water Street (The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Critics look down on shorter 250 Water Street
Critics look down on shorter 250 Water Street
Previous rendering of 250 Water Street (left) and a new rendering (right) with Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly (The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Howard Hughes hopes smaller Seaport project will work this time
Howard Hughes hopes smaller Seaport project will work this time
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...