The Real Deal New York

This month in real estate history

When Columbia's “Upper Estate” went commercial
By Adam Pincus | March 27, 2014 10:30AM

From the March issue: Following the slow progression uptown of Manhattan’s business districts, the first reports emerged that Columbia University trustees had decided to allow commercial uses within a large tract of land filled with residential buildings in Midtown 107 years ago this month.

In 1814, the state granted the school most of the land between 48th and 51st streets and Fifth and Sixth avenues, known as the Upper Estate. [more]