Only $100K handed out so far in Sandy aid program

To date, three checks mailed by Build it Back; "unacceptable length of time"

TRD New York /
Apr.April 01, 2014 08:00 AM

New York City’s Build it Back program, launched by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to aid Big Apple homeowners in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, has mailed only three checks as of last week.

The funds, totaling $100,000, are intended to reimburse homeowners for repair work. But construction has only begun on three homes nearly two years after the storm, and none have been completely rebuilt, the Associated Press reported.

Amy Peterson, Mayor Bill de Blasio’s newly-appointed director of housing recovery, laid much of the blame for the disbursement delay at the feet of the Bloomberg administration at a Monday city council hearing. The city has taken an “unacceptable length of time,” she told the assembled crowd, adding that the de Blasio administration has moved quickly since coming to office in January.

An additional $800,000 is soon to be mailed to homeowners, and 70 individuals are currently in the process of negotiating with contractors to iron out construction plans, Peterson said.

Mayor de Blasio also allotted an additional $100 million to ensure that all applicants to the program with a destroyed home will receive assistance, but that portion accounts for only about 500 homes. For the rest to receive funding, Build it Back would require an additional $1 billion federal funding, Peterson said.

“There are significant uncertainties about the city’s ability to serve all applicants to the program,” Peterson said. [AP]Julie Strickland


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Fairway at 480-500 Van Brunt Street in Red Hook and the O’Connell Organization's Greg O’Connell (Credit: Google Maps)

Fairway landlord: Private-equity owners ruined Red Hook store

Fairway landlord: Private-equity owners ruined Red Hook store
Mayor Bill de Blasio and subway damage caused by Hurricane Sandy (Credit: Getty Images)

Program to rebuild Sandy-damaged homes needs extra $92M

Program to rebuild Sandy-damaged homes needs extra $92M
Army Corps of Engineers Commander Lt. Gen. Todd Semonite and flooding caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 (inset) (Credit: Getty Images)

A $119B seawall still might not protect Manhattan, critics say

A $119B seawall still might not protect Manhattan, critics say
Plans for NYC’s storm-surge barrier raise environmental concerns

Plans for NYC’s storm-surge barrier raise environmental concerns

Plans for NYC’s storm-surge barrier raise environmental concerns
Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Hamptonites spend big to secure properties amid MS-13 fears … & more

Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Hamptonites spend big to secure properties amid MS-13 fears … & more

Hamptons Cheat Sheet: Hamptonites spend big to secure properties amid MS-13 fears … & more
Coney Island Hospital moves forward with $738M renovation plan

Coney Island Hospital moves forward with $738M renovation plan

Coney Island Hospital moves forward with $738M renovation plan
After Sandy, buildings flood city’s most vulnerable neighborhoods

After Sandy, buildings flood city’s most vulnerable neighborhoods

After Sandy, buildings flood city’s most vulnerable neighborhoods
Developers are soaking NYC’s waterfront areas with new construction

Developers are soaking NYC’s waterfront areas with new construction

Developers are soaking NYC’s waterfront areas with new construction
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...