The Burns Brothers coal pockets were in Operation On Sixth Street at Second Avenue in Brooklyn from 1915 to 1938. Eight pockets were built between 1915 and 1924. By 1938, 10 more were built.
The forthcoming office development that will take the coal pockets’ place will also overtake the neighboring bus depot.
The demolition of these coal pockets immediately follows the tearing down of Gowanus’s Silos On Carroll Street earlier this month. The Carroll Street silos were taken down to make room for The Lightstone Group’s upcoming massive 700-unit apartment complex. [PMFA] —TRD