City approves 50-unit rental addition atop Ridgewood Theater

Bottom floor of Queens building to house nearly 14,000 sf of commercial space

New York /
Jul.July 18, 2014 03:55 PM

The landmarked Ridgewood Theater in Queens will soon be topped by 50 residential units, though a preservationist aims to maintain the building’s façade.

The Department of Buildings signed off on paperwork last week permitting Bushburg Properties LLC, which purchased the theater for $6.9 million in August, to convert the first floor into 13,638 square feet of commercial space and construct four floors of residential units above. That work, according to filings for the 55-27 Myrtle Avenue property, will be done within the building’s existing shell.

The units will be rentals, Community Board 5 District Manager Gary Giordano told the TimesLedger.

“To my knowledge, there haven’t been any single parties or organizations that were willing to lease that ground floor all by themselves,” he told the paper. “If you have some divergence or different venues, then it is more likely to succeed.”

Activist Michael Perlman led the push to landmark the nearly 100-year-old theater since it closed in 2008. The Landmarks Preservation Commission awarded landmark status to the building’s façade and marquee in 2010. Whether elements of the theater’s interior — which features a backlit stage, balconies, moldings and a lobby with angelic muses from Greek mythology, domes and vaulted ceilings — are protected from alterations remains unclear. [TimesLedger]Julie Strickland


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
The Strand Bookstore and store owner Nancy Bass Wyden (Credit: Getty Images)
Over owner’s protests, city landmarks Strand bookstore
Over owner’s protests, city landmarks Strand bookstore
Revamped design for 550 Madison receives Landmarks’ approval
Revamped design for 550 Madison receives Landmarks’ approval
Revamped design for 550 Madison receives Landmarks’ approval
The Top 10 preservation fights of 2018
The Top 10 preservation fights of 2018
The Top 10 preservation fights of 2018
The complaint against the tower includes loss of views for current residents in the neighborhood. (Getty)
Seaport community groups sue to block Howard Hughes’ Water Street tower
Seaport community groups sue to block Howard Hughes’ Water Street tower
The Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O'Reilly (LinkedIn via David O'Reilly)
Howard Hughes’ (slightly less) big Seaport project approved
Howard Hughes’ (slightly less) big Seaport project approved
A rendering of 250 Water Street, Landmarks Preservation Commission chair Sarah Carroll and Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly (Center for Architecture, The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Howard Hughes told to further refine Seaport tower proposal
Howard Hughes told to further refine Seaport tower proposal
Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly and 250 Water Street (The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Critics look down on shorter 250 Water Street
Critics look down on shorter 250 Water Street
Previous rendering of 250 Water Street (left) and a new rendering (right) with Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly (The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Howard Hughes hopes smaller Seaport project will work this time
Howard Hughes hopes smaller Seaport project will work this time
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...