The Real Deal New York

Ex-Hudson Companies exec plans Bronx affordable housing

10-story building to hold 92 apartments intended for homeless veterans and young adults
July 22, 2014 12:20PM

Developer Alan Bell, formerly a principal with Hudson Companies, and supportive-housing builder Jericho Project have teamed up to construct a 10-story affordable-housing building in the West Bronx.

The property at 2065 Walton Avenue, near East Burnside Avenue, is set to hold 92 apartments. Bell and Jericho paid $1.15 million for the site in November 2013.

Michael Gelfand’s MHG Architects was hired to design the site, which is slated for completion by 2016. About 60 percent of the units are intended for homeless veterans, and 40 percent are designated for homeless people ages 18 through 25. [NY YIMBY]Mark Maurer

  • Richard Garey

    This building ought to be designated 100% to veterans. 40% can be ages 18-25. The other 60% can be any age. Otherwise, placing old timer vets in a building with random young people who have not served seems like a bad mix.

    A larger question should be posed, why is this supportive housing being located in such close proximity to another supportive housing complex: There really ought to be a more equitable distribution of supportive housing throughout the city.