The Real Deal New York

Douglas Durst sues to force disclosure from HBO filmmaker

The network’s documentary on accused killer Robert Durst is set to air in 5 days
January 22, 2015 04:30PM

UPDATED, Jan. 23, 11:48 a.m.: Durst Organization head Douglas Durst asked a Manhattan court on Thursday to force the director of an HBO documentary about his brother Robert to disclose how he obtained certain deposition footage.

Durst contends that the six-part documentary, “The Jinx: the Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,​” which is set to air next week, could contain footage of Robert and his second wife giving legal depositions that are sealed under a strict confidentiality order.

The order was part of an agreement between Robert and the Durst family to cut ties with the family business in exchange for a $65 million payout, the New York Post reported. The agreement also bars the family from talking to the media about the settlement.

Durst is concerned about the safety of the footage because he learned from Robert’s attorney at the time of the settlement that Robert kept the deposition tapes rather than destroying them.

Last week, Durst demanded that Jarecki allow him to preview the documentary in advance of its premiere.

Robert told the Post, “I’m not spending my time running around 43rd Street looking for a chance to shoot Douglas. Douglas thinks that — ever since we were little boys. The shrinks once said, ‘Your brother’s scared of you. We don’t know why.'” [NYP] — Tess Hofmann

Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated the aim of Douglas Durst’s complaint.