State to withhold funding for 16 NYC homeless shelters

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a new initiative to improve conditions earlier this week

TRD New York /
May.May 13, 2015 09:30 AM

The state is withholding funding from some of the city’s homeless shelters due to poor conditions.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo sent a letter to City Hall, the Wall Street Journal reported, saying that 16 shelters needed to be improved before the money could come through. It’s unclear how much money the state will withhold.

“Instead of spending scarce resources to reinspect shelters and issue redundant reports, while citing issues which it knows are already being addressed as an excuse to withhold needed funding, the state should be meeting its own fiscal responsibility to New York City’s homeless families,” Gilbert Taylor, commissioner of the New York City Department of Homeless Services, told the newspaper.

New York currently has approximately 57,000 people in homeless shelters across the city, the newspaper reported.

Earlier this week, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a new $12.5 million initiative that aims to immediately improve conditions in the city’s shelters. As part of the new intiative, 100 city employees across multiple agencies plan to visit 500 shelters and address the problems they find.

The Department of Investigation released a scathing report about the city’s homeless shelters in March, reporting unsanitary and unsafe conditions including dead vermin, lack of electricity, and rusted staircases. [WSJ]Claire Moses


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios

EB-5 sees investment boost, tensions flare between brokers and StreetEasy: Daily digest

The purge continues: WeWork’s head of real estate is leaving

Governor Andrew Cuomo and Senator James Skoufis (Credit: Getty Images, NY Senate)

Owners of some residential properties can’t hide behind
LLCs anymore

Margaret Streicker Porres and 101 West 78th Street (Credit: Linkedin, Corcoran, iStock)

Newcastle Realty was repeatedly accused of violating New York’s old rent laws. Now it says it’s leaving New York because of the new rent law.

The lights of The Hard Rock Cafes marquee are out during Midtown’s Saturday blackout (Credit: Getty Images)

Broadway shows, restaurants see major losses from Midtown’s Saturday blackout

The blackout impacted a 42-block stretch of Manhattan between the Hudson River and Fifth Avenue (Credit: Getty Images)

Con Ed still searching for answers in Manhattan blackout

Governor Andrew Cuomo and 538 Johnson Avenue in Brooklyn (Credit: Google Maps and Getty Images)

Landlords take another hit: Cuomo signs expanded Loft Law

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Getty Images)

Cuomo wants to exempt NYC from prevailing wage bill

arrow_forward_ios