Vornado, Crown get $450M in financing for St. Regis retail

Partners acquired Upper Fifth Avenue retail properties for $700M last year

TRD New York /
Dec.December 22, 2015 06:10 PM

Vornado Realty Trust and Crown Acquisitions closed on $450 million in financing for their retail condominium at the St. Regis Hotel and an adjacent retail townhouse at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 55th Street in Midtown, Vornado announced Tuesday.

The loan matures in December 2020 and includes two one-year extension options, the real estate investment trust said. Vornado partnered with Stanley Chera’s Crown Acquisitions to buy the St. Regis retail condo at 2 East 55th Street and the adjacent townhouse at 697 Fifth Avenue for $700 million last year.

Vornado owns 74.3 percent of the joint venture that owns the properties, it confirmed, while Crown Acquisitions owns the remaining 25.7 percent.

The landlords signed luxury retailer Swatch Group to two 15-year leases earlier this year for all of the space at the properties, which span nearly 25,000 square feet in the heart of the vaunted Upper Fifth Avenue retail corridor.

Retail Rents On Fifth Avenue, between 49th and 60th streets, hit $3,500 per square foot through the first half of this year – up 3.6 percent from a year earlier, according to Cushman & Wakefield, to remain the most expensive retail leasing market in the world.

Jeff Sutton’s Wharton Properties and General Growth Properties recently signed Italian luxury retailer Bulgari to a new 15-year deal at the Crown Building at 730 Fifth Avenue, located two blocks up from the St. Regis retail space.

The Bulgari deal set a new city record with rents in excess of $5,000 per square foot, as The Real Deal reported last month. – Rey Mashayekhi


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Vornado's Steve Roth and 220 Central Park South (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)

Free and clear: Vornado pays off debt at 220 CPS

Free and clear: Vornado pays off debt at 220 CPS
Vornado chairman and CEO Steven Roth, and 608 Fifth Avenue (Credit: Getty Images)

“Negative surprises”: Vornado execs talk retail struggles on Q2 earnings call

“Negative surprises”: Vornado execs talk retail struggles on Q2 earnings call
Steven Roth, CEO of Vornado and 640 Fifth Avenue (Credit: Getty Images and Vornado Realty Trust)

Bank of China issues $500M to Vornado in refi of 640 Fifth Avenue

Bank of China issues $500M to Vornado in refi of 640 Fifth Avenue
Clockwise from top left: Vornado's Steven Roth, Newmark Knight Frank's Barry Gosin, Redfin's Glenn Kelman, SL Green's Marc Holliday, Marriott's Arne Sorenson, Zillow's Richard Barton, Realogy's Ryan Schneider, and Cushman's Brett White

A real estate earnings call season for the ages

A real estate earnings call season for the ages
Steven Roth (Credit: Bruce Glikas/Getty Images, Vornado)

Vornado might never reopen century-old Hotel Pennsylvania, CEO says

Vornado might never reopen century-old Hotel Pennsylvania, CEO says
 Vornado CEO Steven Roth with 220 Central Park South (left) the Marriott Marquis at 1535 Broadway (Credit: Roth via Taylor Hill/FilmMagic; Vornado; StreetEasy)

Vornado sees “tragic abyss” now, better times ahead

Vornado sees “tragic abyss” now, better times ahead
Pandemic pay cuts: Analysis shows real estate CEOs aren’t giving up much

Pandemic pay cuts: Analysis shows real estate CEOs aren’t giving up much

Pandemic pay cuts: Analysis shows real estate CEOs aren’t giving up much
Caption: Stanley Chera (Photo by Patrick McMullan/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

Stanley Chera, titan of NYC retail, dies of coronavirus

Stanley Chera, titan of NYC retail, dies of coronavirus
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...