The Landmarks Preservation Commission designated six individual properties and four historic districts as landmarks in 2015, adding up to protection for more than 2,000 more structures.
The Crown Heights North III Historic District was designated on March 24. It is the second extension of the Crown Heights North Historic District. This extension includes more than 600 buildings, primarily built between the 1870s and 1930s.
The Stone Avenue branch of the Brooklyn Public Library, located at 581 Stone Avenue, was designated an individual landmark on April 14. Originally known as the Brownsville Children’s Library, the structure was built between 1913 and 1914 and designed by William B. Tubby.
The Bank of Manhattan Company Building at 29-27 Queens Plaza North in Long Island City, Queens was designated a landmark on May 12. Commonly known simply as the Long Island City Clock Tower, the structure was designed by Morrell Smith and completed in 1927.
The Henry and Susan McDonald House at 128 Clinton Avenue in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn was designated on June 16. The building dates back to 1854.
The M.H. Renken Dairy Company office building at 582-584 Myrtle Avenue and engine room building at 580 Myrtle Avenue, also in Clinton Hill, were also designated on June 16. The engine room was constructed around 1860 and the office building in 1932.
In Manhattan, the Riverside-West End Historic District Extension II was designated on June 23. It exists in three sections, but primarily runs between Riverside Drive and about halfway between West End Avenue and Broadway from West 94th Street to West 108th Street.
The Corbin Building at 11 John Street in the Financial District was also designated on June 23. Built between 1888 and 1889, the eight- and nine-story building was designed by Francis Kimball, who also designed the Montauk Club in Park Slope.
The Stonewall Inn at 51-53 Christopher Street in the West Village was another designation that took place on June 23. 51 Christopher Street was built in 1843 and 53 Christopher Street was built in 1846. The two were combined with a new façade in 1930.
The Mount Morris Park Historic Extension in Manhattan was designated on Sept. 22. The district mainly runs down the center of The Blocks Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard And Lenox Avenue/Malcolm X. Boulevard From West 118th Street to West 123rd Street.
Finally, the Bedford Historic District, in Brooklyn’s Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood, was designated on Dec. 8. It includes 824 buildings, almost all of which were built between 1870 and 1900. [YIMBY] — TRD