De Blasio to quadruple penalties for serious construction safety violations

City will proactively sweep 1,500 sites over the next 90 days

TRD NEW YORK /
Feb.February 15, 2016 09:34 AM

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced plans for a sweeping new construction enforcement effort Friday, on the heels of a fatal crane collapse earlier this month.

Hizzoner, working with Department of Buildings head Rick Chandler, said the city will quadruple fines for serious safety lapses and undertake “proactive” safety investigations at 1,500 construction sites, along with other measures, according to a news release.

Fines for serious violations will rise to $10,000 from their current $2,400 level. Fines for sites without construction superintendents will rise to a maximum of $25,000 from $5,000.

“No building is worth a person’s life,” de Blasio said in a statement. “We have a responsibility to keep the men and women who are building New York City safe.”

The new rules come amidst a significant rise in accidents in recent years, as construction in the city has accelerated. Construction has more than tripled since 2009, with 88 million square feet built in 2015.

Accidents have doubled over the same period, hitting a total of 433 citywide in 2015. (Increases in accidents generally lag increases in new construction.)

In addition to the sweeps and fines, the city plans to hire 100 new inspectors, and mandate superintendents for all projects under 10 stories, strengthening the current rules that only require superintendents at new developments.

Nearly three quarters of construction accidents occurred at such sites last year.

A crane collapsed on Worth Street in Tribeca earlier this month, killing David Wichs, a Harvard-trained mathematician. – Ariel Stulberg


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
(Image by Wolfgang & Hite via Dezeen)

Hudson Yards megadevelopment inspires a new line of sex toys

Cammeby's International Group founder Rubin Schron and, from top: 194-05 67th Avenue, 189-15 73rd Avenue and 64-05 186th Lane (Credit: Google Maps)

Ruby Schron lands $500M refi for sprawling Queens apartment portfolio

Wendy Silverstein (Credit: Getty Images)

Wendy Silverstein, co-head of WeWork’s real-estate fund, is out

The executive chef of Otto Enoteca stands in front of the closed restaurant caused by the coronavirus pandemic. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS/AFP via Getty Images)

How hospitality job losses will spill over into real estate, construction

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Cuomo by  (Photos by John Lamparski/NurPhoto; Newsday RM via Getty Images)

State allows more construction, but raises questions on housing

Oxford Property Group CEO Adam Mahfouda (Credit: Propco Holdings)

New acquisition makes Oxford Property Group one of NYC’s biggest brokerages

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Michael Brochstein / Echoes Wire/Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

The official word is in: State releases guidance on RE services

Photo illustration of the statue at the entrance of the Waldorf Astoria

The Waldorf Astoria’s big gamble

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...