Morgans gets extension on $450M loan package

Mortgage backed by beleaguered hotel operator's Hudson New York, Delano South Beach

New York /
Feb.February 18, 2016 04:50 PM

Morgans Hotel Group received a 12-month extension on a $450 million CMBS and mezzanine loan package backed by two of the struggling company’s hotels – the Hudson New York in Midtown and the Delano South Beach in Miami.

The $241.4 million CMBS loan on the properties, which the hotel operator securitized for $257.5 million in May 2013, was due to mature last week before Morgans exercised the first of three options to extend the maturity date by one year. The loan, serviced by Wells Fargo, is now set to mature on Feb. 15, 2017.

The 866-unit Hudson New York, at 356 West 58th Street, is allocated roughly $155.3 million of the balance on the CMBS loan, or nearly 64.35 percent. The 194-unit Delano South Beach assumes the remaining amount – more than $86 million, or 35.65 percent.

The two properties generated aggregate revenues of nearly $128.5 million in 2015 with a combined net operating income of $35.2 million, according to data provided by CMBS analytics firm Trepp.

Alongside the CMBS loan, Morgans announced last week that it had exercised a one-year extension on the maturation of separate, mezzanine loans also backed by the Hudson New York and the Delano South Beach.

The company said it had prepaid $28.2 million of the debt on the total $450 million mortgage – the CMBS loan plus the mezzanine debt – backed by the hotels in conjunction with the extension, bringing its indebtedness on the loans down to $421.8 million.

“The [Hudson and Delano] loan is backed by two trophy hotels, one that most lenders would love to finance,” Trepp research analyst Sean Barrie told The Real Deal.

Despite the strength of the assets backing the CMBS loan, Morgans’ failure to refinance before the end of the initial two-year loan term “is not that crazy, especially with the pessimism currently floating around the CMBS market,” Barrie said.

“Some lenders could begin to scale back in anticipation of risk retention kicking in at the end of 2016, while other smaller shops could be halting their CMBS financing altogether,” he added. “In other words, some of the refinancing slam dunks we’ve seen in the past might not have such a clear path to the basket.”

Morgans saw its stock drop to $0.86 per share on Feb. 10, the day it announced the extension on the mezzanine debt on the two hotels. While shares have since rebounded, closing Thursday at $1.36, the company has been plagued in recent years by shareholder infighting and governance issues.

The hotel operator has been without a CEO since former interim chief executive Jason Kalisman resigned from the position last May. Activist shareholder Gregory Cohen of Rambleside Holdings sent a letter to the Morgans board several weeks ago citing “serious concerns” about the company’s direction and suggesting former Morgans and Wyndham International CEO Fred Kleisner step in as chief executive.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Blackstone's Stephen Schwarzman with MGM Grand Las Vegas and Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (Getty)
Blackstone sells MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay stakes
Blackstone sells MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay stakes
Holiday Inn at 99 Washington Street (Google Maps, Getty)
Facing foreclosure, world’s tallest Holiday Inn files for bankruptcy
Facing foreclosure, world’s tallest Holiday Inn files for bankruptcy
Hyatt CEO Mark Hoplamazian and Dream Hotel Group founder Sant Singh Chatwal with 355 West 16th Street in Manhattan NYC (Hyatt, Dream Hotel)
Hyatt to acquire Dream Hotel Group for up to $300M
Hyatt to acquire Dream Hotel Group for up to $300M
Maefield Development's Mark Siffin and 20 Times Square (aka 701 Seventh Avenue) (Getty, Edition Hotels)
Massive loan on Maefield’s 20 Times Square in trouble
Massive loan on Maefield’s 20 Times Square in trouble
From left: 608 Fifth Avenue, 22 North Loop Road, 38 West 36th Street (608 Fifth, Weiss/Manfredi, Morphosis, and Handel Architects, Apartments, Getty)
Top 10 Manhattan loans: Big lending enters deep freeze
Top 10 Manhattan loans: Big lending enters deep freeze
Sonesta Hotels’ John Murray and The Shelburne Hotel (Illustration by Kevin Cifuentes for The Real Deal with Getty Images, Affinia, Sonesta)
TRD Pro: Biggest hotel sales of the past year
TRD Pro: Biggest hotel sales of the past year
Madison Realty Capital’s Josh Zegen (Madison Realty Capital)
Inside Madison Realty Capital’s distressed investing playbook
Inside Madison Realty Capital’s distressed investing playbook
 Simon Property Group’s David Simon with Crystal Mall (Cube 3 Studio, Getty)
Simon surrenders Connecticut mall to lenders
Simon surrenders Connecticut mall to lenders
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...