Marriott strikes back: Starwood accepts new $13.6B bid

Anbang bid $13.2B last week, topping Marriott’s original $12.2B offer

TRD New York /
Mar.March 21, 2016 08:30 AM

The bidding war for Starwood Hotels & Resorts may finally have come to an end.

The hospitality giant accepted a new, juiced-up takeover offer from Marriott International, totaling about $13.6 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Marriott’s is a counterbid; it follows news last week that Beijing-based Anbang Insurance Group – which recently bought 16 hotels from the Blackstone Group, and owns the Waldorf Astoria hotel – had offered $13.2 billion, or $78 per square, a billion higher than the figure Marriott and Starwood agreed to in November, and about $370 million above its own bid earlier in the week.

Under the new deal, Starwood’s shareholders will get $21 in cash and 0.8 shares of Marriott for every Starwood share they own, valued at Friday’s closing price of $79.53. After the merger, Starwood’s shareholders will own about a third of the combined entity, which will be the world’s largest hotel chain.

Anbang – a massive insurance firm international ambitions and ties to the Chinese state – paid $6.5 billion last month to the Blackstone Group for the 16-property Strategic Hotels & Resorts portfolio, which included the JW Marriott Essex House at 160 Central Park South. [WSJ]Ariel Stulberg


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Marriott CEO Arne M. Sorenson. President Donald Trump and Marriott Four Points in Havana (Getty)

Trump Administration pulls plug on Marriott’s Havana Sheraton

Trump Administration pulls plug on Marriott’s Havana Sheraton
Marriott says Starwood hotels hit by massive data breach

Marriott says Starwood hotels hit by massive data breach

Marriott says Starwood hotels hit by massive data breach
(Credit from back: mkhmarketing/Flickr, Pixabay)

How one “like” on Twitter upset Marriott’s business in China

How one “like” on Twitter upset Marriott’s business in China
Marriott received a lot of bad news in Q2, but things could be looking up in NYC

Marriott received a lot of bad news in Q2, but things could be looking up in NYC

Marriott received a lot of bad news in Q2, but things could be looking up in NYC
Trump’s travel ban is hurting hotels: Marriott CEO

Trump’s travel ban is hurting hotels: Marriott CEO

Trump’s travel ban is hurting hotels: Marriott CEO
Placeholder image

Lam Generation sues Edison, Kaufman to move forward with Chelsea hotel project

Lam Generation sues Edison, Kaufman to move forward with Chelsea hotel project
Marriott to keep all 30 flags after $13B Starwood deal

Marriott to keep all 30 flags after $13B Starwood deal

Marriott to keep all 30 flags after $13B Starwood deal
Marriott closes on $13B Starwood purchase

Marriott closes on $13B Starwood purchase

Marriott closes on $13B Starwood purchase
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...