Landmarks approves new mansion on site of UES townhouse explosion

Woodbine Company bought 34 East 62nd Street for $12M

New York /
Jul.July 13, 2016 01:00 PM

The Landmarks Preservation Commission on Tuesday approved design plans for a new mansion on an Upper East Side site where a townhouse exploded 10 years ago.

The Woodbine Company plans to build a single-family, faux classical mansion on the vacant 34 East 62nd Street, 6sqft reported. The site was once home to Nicholas Bartha, a doctor who was suspected of tampering with a gas line in order to blow up his five-story townhouse to retaliate against his ex-wife. A judge had ordered Bartha to sell the house as part of their divorce settlement. He was inside when the home exploded and died five days later.

Now, almost 10 years later to the day, Landmarks has approved a 7,800-square-foot, five-story home for the site. Woodbine purchased the site last year for $11.9 million, considerably less than its $40 million listing price. Russian developer Janna Bullock had purchased the property a year after the explosion and filed plans for a new townhouse, but the plans ultimately fell through.

HS Jessup Architecture is designing the new home for Woodbine. [6sqft] — Kathryn Brenzel 


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
The Strand Bookstore and store owner Nancy Bass Wyden (Credit: Getty Images)
Over owner’s protests, city landmarks Strand bookstore
Over owner’s protests, city landmarks Strand bookstore
Revamped design for 550 Madison receives Landmarks’ approval
Revamped design for 550 Madison receives Landmarks’ approval
Revamped design for 550 Madison receives Landmarks’ approval
The Top 10 preservation fights of 2018
The Top 10 preservation fights of 2018
The Top 10 preservation fights of 2018
The Grand Prospect Hall at 263 Prospect Avenue with former Mayor Robert Wagner (Getty, Jim.henderson/Wikimedia, NYPAP/Illustration by Kevin Rebong for The Real Deal)
How (not) to save a beloved building
How (not) to save a beloved building
The parking lot at 250 Water Street (New York Public Library)
What’s next for a 50-year-old parking lot in NYC’s oldest neighborhood?
What’s next for a 50-year-old parking lot in NYC’s oldest neighborhood?
The complaint against the tower includes loss of views for current residents in the neighborhood. (Getty)
Seaport community groups sue to block Howard Hughes’ Water Street tower
Seaport community groups sue to block Howard Hughes’ Water Street tower
The Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O'Reilly (LinkedIn via David O'Reilly)
Howard Hughes’ (slightly less) big Seaport project approved
Howard Hughes’ (slightly less) big Seaport project approved
A rendering of 250 Water Street, Landmarks Preservation Commission chair Sarah Carroll and Howard Hughes Corporation CEO David O’Reilly (Center for Architecture, The Howard Hughes Corporation/SOM)
Howard Hughes told to further refine Seaport tower proposal
Howard Hughes told to further refine Seaport tower proposal
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...