Meridian brings E&M in as partner on BX multifamily package

Partners bought out investor Chaim Schweid for more than $50M

TRD New York /
Sep.September 20, 2016 10:30 AM

Meridian Capital Group brought in E&M Associates to buy out its partner in a pair of rental complexes in the Bronx for more than $50 million.

Ralph Herzka’s Meridian and the Brooklyn-based E&M Associates paid $51.25 million to buy investor Chaim Schweid out of his 50 percent stake in the 699-unit Allerton Coops at 2700-2800 Bronx Park East, property records filed Thursday with the city show.

Representatives for Meridian TRData LogoTINY, E&M and Schweid did not respond to requests for comment. According to a source not affiliated with the deal, Meridian now owns a 70 percent stake in the complex while E&M owns the remaining 30 percent.

Schweid bought the properties, built by the United Workers Cooperative Colony in the 1920s as housing for garment workers, in 2005 for $35.8 million, property records show.

The complex, however, fell into disrepair in recent years and had become plagued by drugs, prostitution and vermin, according to news reports.

E&M earlier this year sold a 55-unit rental building at 148 West 142nd Street in Harlem for $16.5 million. Irving Langer, who runs the prominent multifamily firm, was accused in May of underpaying superintendents in his buildings and housing them in dilapidated apartments.

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated the number of units in the Allerton Coops. It is 699, not 1,396.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios

E&M planning 70-unit project in Flatbush

E&M looks to sell Washington Heights portfolio for $200M-plus

Isaac Kassirer is buying a 21-building multifamily portfolio in Harlem

Treetop buys Far Rockaway rental complex for $135M

Isaac Kassirer to buy 47-building East Harlem portfolio for $350M-plus

E&M chiefs, partners file plans for Gulliver’s Gate project

Hillcrest buys 21-building Upper Manhattan portfolio for $149M

E&M pays $29M for four-building Brooklyn portfolio

arrow_forward_ios